We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dismal forum participation on the St Pete forum

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
539 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Dismal forum participation on the St Pete forum

For a place that has some of the best beaches in the state forum participation is rather slow compared to the Orlando forum..From the main default forum opening it seems like 99% of people going to Fla are going to Orlando. I do hope many of the visitors to Florida discover that Florida is so much more than just Disney.

Edited: 9:13 am, May 11, 2013
SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Dismal forum participation on the St Pete forum

Welcome, Doug! I hope you enjoy your visit.

I do agree that a grouping of the Tampa Bay cities and beaches would be helpful, but until such time as TA sees it that way, the following is a very good resource for coordinated info for the area -

www.visitstpeteclearwater.com

yorkshire
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Dismal forum participation on the St Pete forum

Have to agree with traveller.... 99% of the uk population think that Florida is just full of theme parks and nothing else... That's so misguided.... It's actually, a vast and unique state and every part of it is different to the next...

Each time we visit, we marvel at something new we've discovered... And it's sad that most people for the uk never get to experience this for themselves....

If one more person says to me " didn't you go last year ? Or don't you get bored with going to the same place? Grrrrrrr......

I'm patiently trying to educate anyone who makes these comments...

Florida Is NOT just theme parks and Mickey Mouse.... There's a whole beautiful state to explore with the most fab beaches in the world and amazing food and people....

Orlando is typically a very small part of our trip with the majority of our time over the years spent in the gulf coast, keys, fort Lauderdale or Miami.

Many of the posters on the Orlando forum are first time visitors and are so excited, you can almost feel it.... I hope they will discover the real Florida over time......

Ps - 53 sleeps... Sorry just couldn't resist....lol.

Edited: 4:06 pm, October 06, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
552 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Dismal forum participation on the St Pete forum

We have been to Florida many times, never been to Disney, I don't really have any desire and I have 3 kids! We have mostly done the Gulf coast, Keys, Miami & Ft Lauderdale areas... with that said, I wish I had more vacation time to explore more areas, just not Orlando :0) !

vancouver
Level Contributor
2,203 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Dismal forum participation on the St Pete forum

Hi Maya, ty for the tip. I got an excellent magazine about the area called Gulf to Bay and just now realized it's from the visitstpeteclearwater.com people. I think I got it in association with entering a contest. Either way that magazine is actually a big part of the reason we are going to the area. We knew we wanted to explore more of Florida and that helped us narrow it down. We've booked flights and plan looks like 5 nights in Clearwater/St Pete area, 4 nights Orlando and 6 nights Vero Beach.

heh Guess next step is I should actually visit their site. :)

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
220 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Dismal forum participation on the St Pete forum

Loving the analysis of the typical Brits and their over enthusiasm! I guess we deserve it as it's usually us taking the pee out of the Americans for never leaving the States and thinking Hawaii is an exotic getaway.

Anyway. We have been to Florida a few times and always mix it up. So as well as Orlando we have visited Anna Maria Island, Fort Myers Beach, Miami, Fort Lauderdale and next year Clearwater. I agree. Whilst I knew we would enjoy Orlando, the rest of Florida has been the revelation. It is a perfect holiday destination!

I'm afraid I can't tell you how many more sleeps I have to go but I think it's about 215...

26. Re: Dismal forum participation on the St Pete forum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, October 09, 2014