We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Pete winter rental areas

Valparaiso, Indiana...
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
St. Pete winter rental areas

My wife and I are going to Florida next month to scout out winter rentals for next year. We have been planning on going to Naples (we have friends there), but our son and his wife, who vacation in St Pete almost yearly, say that we are making a mistake by not checking it out as well. We are looking for locations walking distance, if not directly on, the beach. And we also would like to be able to walk (or short drive) to restaurants and shopping. Any advice on areas or neighborhoods that we should check out would be appreciated. I've been on a few condo rental sites, which tout various areas by name, but I've never been to St. Pete so none of it means much to me. Also, if anyone has spent time in St Pete and Naples, I would appreciate input on the virtues of one over the other. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Pete winter rental areas

What is your monthly rental budget? There are all kinds of winter rentals in area -- and the prices vary greatly depending on the amenities you want and where you want to be. We own a condo on Sand Key. It is just over the bridge from Clearwater Beach - so close to everything when we want to be - but on one of the quietest semi private beaches in the world. On Sand Key - many condos are ocean facing AND also have intrac pastel views as well

Edited: 8:52 pm, April 02, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Sand Key Park
Sand Key Park
1,349 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
Clearwater Beach
Clearwater Beach
9,973 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Pete winter rental areas

Sorry - I had a computer glitch so will continue. The only problem with those condos is that they are fairly pricey and don't offer many activities for the residents. There are condos along the ocean all the way from Clearwater Beach to St Pete Beach. If you look off the barrier islands the price goes down significantly and some of those condos have activities for the residents so they get to know each other. There are a wide range of activities and rents depending on what you want in a rental.

Edited: 8:59 pm, April 02, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Clearwater Beach
Clearwater Beach
9,973 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
Valparaiso, Indiana...
Level Contributor
36 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Pete winter rental areas

There seems to be a fairly wide range of pricing, but I was hoping to rent for a month for around $5K. However, I'd pay more for the right place. My wife is a beach person, which is why we need to be close, if not on. I'm more of a cyclist and walker. We enjoy dining out, which is why prefer to be close to a restaurant area. We like it quiet. We spent a week last winter in Fort Myers Beach and thought it was crazy. Likewise, a ride we took to Sanibel Island took over two hours. I won't do that again. We stayed a few nights at the Sand Pearl Hotel in Clearwater Beach and enjoyed that. I appreciate the mention of Sand Key. I will see what I can find there on the web.

Mentioned in this post
Fort Myers Beach
Fort Myers Beach
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Clearwater Beach
Clearwater Beach
9,973 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
Sand Key Park
Sand Key Park
1,349 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Pete winter rental areas

From what you have written, Sand Key might be a place you would love. The price range for a one bedroom during the winter would be about $2800 to $3600 - and higher for a two bedroom. Sand Key doesn't have any public access, so the beach is fairly quiet and limited to the condo owners and tenants. Many of the condos have both Gulf of Mexico views AND intracoastal views. There are four buildings that are only one condo deep - so all condos face the Gulf of Mexico- not other buildings - providing incredible privacy. In those buildings there are some condos that are the whole width of the building - so they have full Gulf of Mexico and full intracoastal views. The other advantage to Sand Key is that it is close to everything - restaurants, shopping, airports, golf courses, etc. - and yet it is extremely quiet and private. Of all the places we looked at before we bought - Sand Key was the nicest for peace, quiet, and proximity to services. When you are in Florida next month - check it out - it really is paradise.

If you wanted to be right on Clearwater Beach, there are condos at the Sandpearl for rent. Some of the owners have them listed on VRBO, vacationrentals.com, homeaway and Tripadvisor vacation rentals. For rentals on Sand Key - you could check out those resources as well - or go through a vacation rental company,

Edited: 1:05 am, April 03, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Sand Key Park
Sand Key Park
1,349 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Florida
Florida
United States
Clearwater Beach
Clearwater Beach
9,973 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
Sandpearl Resort
Sandpearl Resort
2,584 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Pete winter rental areas

I wonder if this poster is aware that this is a forum for a metropolitan area of the county, not the area normally associated with enjoying the Gulf?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Pete winter rental areas

St. Petersburg is a metropolitan city located on a peninsula between Tampa Bay and the Gulf of Mexico. St. Pete Beach is located right on the Gulf of Mexico. Your wife wants to stay on the beach - so she will likely want to stay on St. Pete Beach or the beaches between there and Clearwater Beach.

When looking at vacation rentals sites - make sure you are NOT looking at St. Petersburg. Many of the listings sound like they are on the Gulf of Mexico - but will actually be on the peninsula and not on the Gulf. If you haven't ever been to the area - check out Google maps before booking and make sure you know exactly where you are booking.

You will likely want to look at listings for St. Pete Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, Indian Shores, Madeira Beach, Treasure Island, Sand Key and Clearwater Beach. Check out VRBO, vacationrentals.com and Trip Advisors Vacation Rentals to find listings. The area books up very quickly for winter rentals. Many snowbirds snap up listings for February, March and April thirteen months ahead of time.

You also mentioned you wanted to check out Naples (that is also a seperate forum). Naples would be a few degrees warmer than the Clearwater/St. Pete Beach area. If you post your question on Clearwater's Forum , St. Pete Beach's Forum and Naple's Forum - you will likely get more replies.

Edited: 12:41 am, April 10, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Clearwater Beach
Clearwater Beach
9,973 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
Sand Key Park
Sand Key Park
1,349 Reviews
Clearwater, FL
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
7. Re: St. Pete winter rental areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 12, 2014