We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in/around St. Petersburg

Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Things to do in/around St. Petersburg

I have a work conference in St. Petersburg, FL at the beginning of October. DH is going to fly down with me for a 4 - 5 day vacation before the conference starts. Neither of us have been to any part of Florida before. What should we do in/around St. Petersburg? We are totally taking the drive to Harry Potter world (or whatever it's called - I'm a huge fan, poor DH!). But that's all we have planned so far. So obviously we are willing to venture outside St. Petersburg. We definitely want to get some beach time in, but we also like adventurous stuff and I love animals...and food. We don't get to travel much so I want to make the most out of our time there.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in/around St. Petersburg

There's the Lowry Park Zoo, Busch Gardens and the Florida Aquarium, all in Tampa as well as Ybor City which comes alive at night. There's also the Dali Museum in St. Pete.

If time permits you can drive to Tarpon Springs where the Greeks first settled to do sponge diving and still do today. It's about 1-hour drive from St. Pete.

Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in/around St. Petersburg

Awesome ideas - the sponges sound interesting! Thank you!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,715 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do in/around St. Petersburg

A little bit about Tarpon Springs .... what you will see are the sponge boats moored at the docks and right across the street are dozens of shops selling all kinds and shapes of sponges. There are also several restaurants with typical (I suppose) greek food. And several small shops selling clothing and trinkets. It's an interesting place to walk around for half a day and maybe have lunch or dinner there.

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do in/around St. Petersburg

Hello, I am from Ohio as well but lived in Tampa/St Pete's for a few years and always still visit a few times a year. Since you mentioned animals and I saw someone already responded about the Lowery Park Zoo, it truly is a cool place coming from Ohio because there are so many things that can stay outdoors year round that we don't really have. I am not saying it is greater than Ohio zoos, but definitely worth it for the different creatures you will see! I love the Meerkat exhibit! Then of course if you want adventure with your animals, Busch gardens has a pretty decent display as well. Also, Fort De Soto will not be far and makes for an excellent beach day and you can even take the ferry over to Egmont Key for some exploring. Google Fort De Soto and see what you think

Reynoldsburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do in/around St. Petersburg

Oh and as for food, downtown St Pete should be just fine, the area around The Pier and even in The Pier. One of my favorites, especially for a fun but romantic night is the Rusty Pelican near the Tampa airport, it's right off of route 60. Great Place! Too many to list or think of now, so you can't go wrong. Clearwater had some awesome wine restaurant not on the beach side, but I can't think of the name. The food was great though. Also look up The Columbia. There are a few scattered around and one at The Pier in St. Petes. I'm pretty sure most locals and visitors will agree that place is excellent!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,127 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do in/around St. Petersburg

I agree about the Dali museum, but I have to say- why is no one saying hit the beach????

Well, keith did mention Ft De Soto and that is where i would go. but i'd also hit the beach in St pete beach and Treasure island proper.

And you have to take a boat trip out into the gulf and see some dolphins etc. If he is on his own, a shared fishing charter might be fun?

7. Re: Things to do in/around St. Petersburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 22, 2013