We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a villa somewhere on the Gulf Coast. Where?

Halifax Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
754 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a villa somewhere on the Gulf Coast. Where?

Hi folks, I am having trouble finding the best gulf coast forum--looks like there are many forums, one for each town/city, but not many are active. If anyone's got a better idea for a "gulf coast" question, I'm happy to hear it.

We enjoyed a pool home in Orlando last year and would like something similar, but somewhere on the coast. The whole point for us is the private pool, which the kids absolutely loved last year, so condos are out. We have stayed around St Pete's years ago, in a condo, and are open to going further south (flying in to TPA or MCO, depending on airfare deals). Looking at March break period, and honestly, I'm not seeing too much outside of Cape Coral (which seems to be a way from beaches). Fees and add-ons seem higher than in Orlando also; I was hoping to get a week for a grand or less, all in.

Any idea where we should look?

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
Cape Coral
Cape Coral
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a villa somewhere on the Gulf Coast. Where?

Try www.gulfcoastalrentals.com and www.vrbo.com.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a villa somewhere on the Gulf Coast. Where?

Check out Rotonda West, you will find many beautiful pool home and you will be minutes to the beaches, one being Boca Grande.

Mentioned in this post
Boca Grande
Boca Grande
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a villa somewhere on the Gulf Coast. Where?

Anna Maria island is a great place to spend a relaxing vacation. It's directly on the Gulf south of Tampa Bay/St. Pete. There is even a free trolley that you can take all over the island if you don't have a car. I did a quick search on line and I saw some cottages with pools that were steps to the beach for $1200-1400. You're coming in season so the prices are a bit higher. I saw a cottage on Coconut Ave in the city of Anna Maria with a pool in this price range and I would highly recommend that area. The beaches north of Pine Avenue to the tip of Anna Maria (if you look at a map) have not been renourished- so they're powder white- and there isn't a lot of public parking so you don't have masses of people. There's a restaurant called the Sandbar to eat at on the beach while watching the sunset and there's a coffee shop within walking distance if you like coffee and pastries in the morning. There are quite a few little shops and restaurants in the area. It's a nice place to rent a bike and enjoy yourself. You could check into flying into Sarasota International Airport but I'm guessing Tampa's cheaper. On occasion you can get a comparable ticket into Sarasota depending where you're coming from. If you're looking for a busy, touristy, concrete jungle- Anna Maria is probably not the place for you- not even a McDonald's. There is quite a lot to do though within an hour's drive. I actually live in Bradenton but my grandma used to live on Anna Maria.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Bradenton
Bradenton
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,237 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a villa somewhere on the Gulf Coast. Where?

The problem is pool homes are maonly on the moanland away from beaches. Great pool homes from Sarasota to Naples/marco but many are up to 25-30 mins from the beaches. On ilsand prvate homes with pools are available but very pricy.

for the cheapest homes (unlike Cape C closer to beaches) look at Bradenton (for AMI beaches) and Venice, englewood or Rotonda west for private pool home close (ie 15 mins or less) to beaches. For upmarket pricy but on the beach look at Captiva, Longboat, Casey, Nokomis, manasota key.

for some of these, consider RSW/ft myers for flights as well.

Edited: 11:51 am, November 20, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Sarasota
Sarasota
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Naples
Naples
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Bradenton
Bradenton
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Venice
Venice
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Captiva Island
Captiva Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Nokomis
Nokomis
Florida
5. Re: Looking for a villa somewhere on the Gulf Coast. Where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, November 21, 2012