We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Pete, Gulfport or S Pasadena?

Seattle
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
St Pete, Gulfport or S Pasadena?

Taking a 2 day trip looking for a great place to move or plan for an extended vacation. Can anyone give me some inside info about the lifestyles in these 3 locations? Age, culture, affordability, fun, etc. Thanks

Ridgeway, Virginia
Level Contributor
382 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Pete, Gulfport or S Pasadena?

It depends on what you mean by affordable. You should be able to get something decent in St. Pete for around $200,000 - maybe $150,000 if you are lucky or not real picky. The neighborhoods are not homogeneous though. We are in Shore Acres and favor the neighborhoods in the northeast but that is where we live.

We think that St. Pete Downtown is fun but we have never been to Gulfport. There are a lot of new businesses going in on 4th street. We have gone to South Pasedena to see the symphony which is currently playing at the Pasadena Community Church while the Mehaffey is being redone. I also drove through there today - lots of nice big houses and brick streets. Pasedena is closer to the beaches but I know little more of it. The area they call "The Jungle" is gorgeous - lots of old, old trees - oak, mostly.

Ridgeway, Virginia
Level Contributor
382 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Pete, Gulfport or S Pasadena?

These sites might help you as far as you are looking at St. Pete:

Article Voting St. Pete as Most Livable Mid-Sized City (my need to copy and paste the URL

mostlivable.org/cities/stpetersburg/home.html

City's Virtual Tour of Neighborhoods

http://www.stpete.org/ntour.htm

Seattle
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Pete, Gulfport or S Pasadena?

Thank you for the info- I checked out the web sites and they were very helpful. We mostly want to look by the beach and stay in the 300K to 400K range. Somewhere fun, upscale and cultural would be ideal. Maybe even the Sarasota area? We are open to anything!

Ridgeway, Virginia
Level Contributor
382 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Pete, Gulfport or S Pasadena?

Just from what you say, it sounds to me like you would really like the Pasadena area (from what I have seen of it). Downtown has a lot of cultural activities but the residents are a wide mix. Besides, Downtown is only minutes from Pasedena and Pasedena is closest to the Gulf and it certainly has some upscale areas.

I don't know anything about Sarasota except that the housing values south of Sunshine Skyway have really gone crazy. LongBoat Key is down there somewhere and ranked among the highest in the nation in property value increases (something like 150% increase last year). I think it is Bradenton where the housing has gotten so highly valued that the city workers (police men, firemen, etc) are having trouble affording housing. Culturally, though, these places are unknowns for me.

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
143 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Pete, Gulfport or S Pasadena?

Sarasota real estate is OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. An old condo in bad shape and an undesirable neighborhood will probably run you about $265,000. It's difficult to find a house on the water for under a million. Culturally it is wonderful here; many museums, opera, theatre, ballet, a film festival, tons of great restaurants. Though sadly, you will find hardly any bars or restaurants on the water becasue the property is just too valuable - it's all condos. Age wise, I'd say the majority of residents are retirement age. There is a very noticeable influx of snowbirds in winter. I am in my mid-twneties and am considering moving back to St. Pete (my hometown).

Gulfport, Florida
Level Contributor
612 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Pete, Gulfport or S Pasadena?

Gulfport: Combination retired (the Town Shores condo development is HUGE and is a 50+ cumminty), working class and artsty. Prices have really climbed in teh past 2 years, but IMHO it is stil a better value than South Pasadena (which in borders to the East).

S. Pasadena: A real mixed bag of housing -- whcih I consider a Good Thing but others might not. All the way from 7 digit waterfront homes to extremely modest "shoeboxes."

St. Pete also, of course, covers a miltitude of options. In general, St Pete and its suburbs is quieter than Tampa and its 'burbs.