We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of going to St Petersburg in September

Montreal
Level Contributor
513 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of going to St Petersburg in September

Im thinking of my future trip in September. Im a big red Sox fan, so I want to spend my whole week following the red sox to their every live game. On September 10th and 11th, the Red Sox will be facing the Devil Rays and ill be going to Tampa for those 2 days to see them (then fly to Boston where they will play 6 straight home games) and I have no clue whatsoever about the city of Tampa. My question is what hotel would be perfect for my stay where I can walk in short distance to the stadium and that is a nice and safe area (id like to add, im going there solo).

I don't have a driver's licence, so that is why I want to stay near the stadium, the only time ill ever use the taxi is from the airport to my hotel (I know its expensive, but I have no choice).

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Practically Pikasso
Paint & Pottery Studios
Escape St Pete LLC
Game & Entertainment Centers, Room Escape Games
BayWalk
Game & Entertainment Centers, Shopping Malls
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of going to St Petersburg in September

Okay, first of all.......it's just the Tampa Bay Rays now! :O) I'm not sure why you would want to come to Tampa to have your *** handed to you, but I'm willing to help you! J/K LOL Try the Holiday Inn Express on 54th Avenue. I believe they offer a complementary shuttle to and from the game, or if you have the money and want to splurge on something nice try the Vinoy Renaissance; they offer a shuttle service for I believe $ 5 rountrip. I really shouldn't talk too much smack since you guys have Crawford now, and that was a huge blow to us! I hope you have a great trip to the Tampa/St. Pete area!

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Montreal
Level Contributor
513 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of going to St Petersburg in September

lol, I think I offended a rays fan :P ...jk...sorry I didnt know they changed their name, its pretty hard to get news for Baseball in Montreal,lol....Thank you for your help nonetheless, ill check the hotel out

Edited: 1:20 pm, February 14, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Level Contributor
513 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of going to St Petersburg in September

One last question, is there a beach too nearby or is it a long way without a car?

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of going to St Petersburg in September

St Pete Beach is about 20 mins (10 miles) from Tropicana Field. It would be too long without a car, but you could take cab or the local bus. Unfortunately, I've never taken the local bus. So, you'd have to have someone else help you with that. :O)

Mentioned in this post
Tropicana Field
Tropicana Field
1,968 Reviews
St. Petersburg, FL
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of going to St Petersburg in September

Check out this link. It gives you a bunch of hotel options for the game:

hotelplanner.com/Hotels/3295-NEAR-Tropicana-…

Once you find one you like, check their website and see if they offer a shuttle service to the game. Some will be within walking distance though. :O)

Montreal
Level Contributor
513 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of going to St Petersburg in September

Thank you, I checked out the holiday inn express, they dont mention anything about shuttle, I must of missed it as it would of interested me.

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of going to St Petersburg in September

From their website:

hiexpress.com/hotels/…hoteldetail

"Features

A Tampa Bay Devil Rays home game is a must-see while visiting St. Petersburg. Lodging with us allows you to travel there and back for free with our complimentary shuttle to Tropicana Field. "

Apparently, they don't know we changed our name either. LOL But if you're interested you can call and confirm. :O)

Mentioned in this post
Tropicana Field
Tropicana Field
1,968 Reviews
St. Petersburg, FL
Montreal
Level Contributor
513 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of going to St Petersburg in September

awesome, thanks

Saint Petersburg, FL
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of going to St Petersburg in September

Hey there Red Sox fan - we don't take offense to you supporting your team, and in fact are impressed. Unfortunately, some of the info. that you have been getting is not the best for you in your situation. First of all, the Red Sox will be staying at the Renaissance Vinoy Hotel and Resort, which is right in the heart of the best area to stay in St. Petersburg, where the Rays play (not Tampa). There are seven Bed & breakfasts located in this historic neighborhood, within walking distance of both the Vinoy, and Tropicana Field. It is walkable to the stadium, but I would suggest taking the free shuttle that the city provides for all "big" games, which of course includes Red Sox games. The shuttle leaves from Central Avenue at 2nd Street and runs before and after the game.

Also, there is a beach within walking distance, at the waterfront park near the Vinoy and the B&B's in the adjacent neighborhood. That;s what is so great about this area, you're close to everything, but can stay in a beautiful waterfront neighborhood too.

Mentioned in this post
Tampa
Tampa
Florida
Tropicana Field
Tropicana Field
1,968 Reviews
St. Petersburg, FL
10. Re: Thinking of going to St Petersburg in September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:44 am, March 31, 2012