We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas

Portland, Maine
2 posts
Save Topic
ideas

I will be staying at the St Pete municipal marina in January - any ideas on things I shouldn't miss - or should really TRY to miss?

Thanks - Maine Yankee

Ridgeway, Virginia
Level Contributor
382 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas

Don't miss the Pier - it's got shopping, food and a great view.

Don't miss Baywalk but don't stay too late. There are several good restaraunts - Dan Marino's and the Dish, several cool trendy shops and a theatre. It's a decent theatre with stadium seating. We love Baywalk in the day time but we took in a late show at the theatre once and coming out at midnight the music played in the plaza had changed to gangsta rap and the crowd had turned into teenagers and young adults. Way too much volume and too many hormones for me to feel safe, but then I may just be an old fogey stick in the mud.

Sometimes there is an arts & crafts fair in front of Progress Energy on Saturday mornings but it doesn't go all year and I don't know what part of the year that is scheduled in. When it is going, it is only in the morning. It is worth going to.

There is lots of great shopping all throughout the immediate downtown area where you will be and it is a nice downtown for taking a stroll through.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas

Also, Dont miss the Sunday Brunch at the Rennasaince Vinoy, Dali Museum, and check the local guides if there is a festival in one of the many parks along the water front, www.tampabay.com.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
602 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas

Anything along the south beaches is beautiful, from brunch at the Don Cesar to just a stroll at Ft. Desoto. Also a bit less crowded that Clearwater to the north. The John's Pass Boardwalk is kind of nice too. Don't recommend Ybor city on weekend nights, but do like Channelside. Lots of restaurants, movies, bars, shopping, outdoors on water, and ADULT crowds. Baywalk gets to "teenish" after 9pm, war protesters, homeless, etc. Ok for a matinee movie or early dinner, we always leave by 9. For great Pinellas restaurants, we like Salt Rock Grill on Indian Rocks beach for some truly great steaks and seafood. Call ahead, reservations are a bear during high season. Expect heavy traffic from snowbirds that time of year too.

How long will you be in town for? Busch Gardens is great, as is the Fl Aquarium. Unfortunately, St. Pete and Pinellas County don't offer much in the way of "big name" attractions. I'm a true FL native and wish myself there was more over here. But the trip is less than 30 mins to Tampa, so it's not bad.

Ridgeway, Virginia
Level Contributor
382 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ideas

I'll second the suggestion on Salt Rock Grill - it is absolutely fantastic food and is over on the barrier island between St. Pete and Clearwater. You can watch boats go by in the intercoastal canal (I think that is the term - the water between the barrier island and the mainland). They quite possibly have the best desserts I've ever had.