We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Pete Beach - "old"???

Which St. Pete Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new bedford, ma
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
St. Pete Beach - "old"???

Hi,

I have seen a few comments and reviews about St. Pete Beach being "old". I was there three years ago and I found nothing "old". I found it to be clean, peaceful and away from the crowds and congestion of Clearwater. I thought it was

a fantastic beach and location.

I am planning a return trip in October. Has anything happened in the past three years??

Opinions, comments please --- is St. Pete Beach "old"??

Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Pete Beach - "old"???

Perhaps people suggest that St. Pete Beach is old, because some of the resident population are retirees.

I was in St. Pete Beach in December for a conference and found it to be clean and peaceful as well. Depending on where you are staying, I would just call to make sure they have recovered from last years hurricane's. In December most places had, but there were still a few with whole hotel wings out of service for repairs etc...

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,255 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Pete Beach - "old"???

My brother moved to St. Pete in the erly 1970s and I have been going down there ever since. In the 70s you could drive from St. Pete Beach to Clearwater and have beautiful Gulf views most of the way. Now about the only time you see the water is when you go up a bridge between the islands. Pretty much everything has been built since then.

If you are looking for old you have to go to Pass A Grille, the southern part of St. Pete Beach. The Don Cesar is a grand old hotel and the area south of the Don Cesar is mostly older and neat from a historical perspective.

Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
403 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Pete Beach - "old"???

I think the person who wrote the post is using "old" in a negative way. No...it's not old. It's not the Ritz, but it is a great getaway and newer accomodations can be found. Regarding the hurricanes.....this area really WAS NOT hit. Don't worry about that at all.

Bristol, Rhode...
Level Contributor
484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Pete Beach - "old"???

I was there last year and I love St. Pete Beach area..Like mentioned it's a great beach away from all the congestion that Clearwater beach has...

U.S.A
Level Contributor
414 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Pete Beach - "old"???

We were in St. Pete a couple months ago. Nothing is wrong with St. Pete. It's great. We thought it was quiet and relaxing. And, yes, you are correct, it is away from the crowds and congestion. Maybe the person who called it "old" meant that it was for those who were older as in more mature (like us) and don't want a loud, drunken, party atmosphere for their vacation! If St. Pete is old, count me in!!

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Pete Beach - "old"???

St Pete Beach has one of the best beaches in Florida, sugar white sand. The beaches are not crowded like Clearwater or Daytona. St Pete Beach is the best kept Secret.

new bedford, ma
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Pete Beach - "old"???

Hi again. I am glad to see the positive postings about SPB.

The hotels on SPB actually have a beachfront! I think I noticed that most of the hotels in Clearwater that were advertising/promoting their beachfront property had very little beachfront. Am I wrong or did anyone else notice this??

SPB had a great mix of younger people, families and the mature traveler who doesn't want the party atmosphere. It's okay to visit it but I don't want to have to spend my week dealing with crowds, etc.

This trip we are staying at the Alden Beach Resort, gulf front view suite. Our last trip we stayed at the Plaza Beach Resort which was fine.

My favorite dining places were the Hurricane and Holiday Inn the revolving restaurant. We ate other places but these were the hilites.

We canoed Fort DeSoto, spent time at St. John's Pass shopping and eating, visited the Pier, Clearwater Beach, rented jet skis and soaked up the beach and sun. We had rented a mustang convertible and the top was down the whole week. What a blast!

This October we will spend a little more time heading south of SPB for day trips.

We are from Massachusetts and have had it with the weather this winter.

We are keeping our fingers crossed that Florida stays hurricane free this year. They need a break.

Thanks