We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling?

Which St. Pete Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
snorkeling?

My family and I will in St. Pete beach in the 1st week of April. I was wondering about snorkeling. Could anyone tell me is there a really good area for this in St. Pete, ("Clear" water, not many waves). Does it cost anything extra to snorkel? Do you have to take a boat to a certain area? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Mj.

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling?

You can snorkel right off the beach, but it's best to take a boat trip out into the Gulf. There are snorkel trips that you can take. I went with Captain Frank's Cruises (727.345.4500, 60 Corey Ave., St. Pete) to Egmont Key, an island with a lighthouse where the snorkeling is good due to a man-made reef. The boat ride was fun, and we saw lots of dolphins.

It only costs extra if you rent equipment or go out on a boat. Snorkeling, like diving, tends to be best in areas where there are reefs, and there aren't reefs in the St. Pete area.

Fort Desoto Park, at the Southern end of St. Pete. may be fairly good for snorkeling right off the beach.