We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bikes

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bikes

Is it reasonable to be able to rent bikes to commute up and down the st. pete beach corridor. We would rather do this than shuttle...

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bikes

Yes, plenty of folks here ride bikes for transportation, but do be aware that there are no bike lanes, and traffic along Gulf Blvd can be complicated, as cars enter and exit all of the resorts and other businesses. I guess it depends on whether your little ones are accustomed to riding in traffic.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bikes

There is no bike path along beach or ? There is just a main road?

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bikes

No, no bike path along the beach. The resorts are directly beachfront, with entrances from Gulf Blvd, which is a 4-lane road. There are sidewalks and pedestrian crosswalks, so it is easy to walk, but biking can present challenges.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bikes

There is a bike path along Gulf Blvd on both sides of the road almost the entire length of our island. This includes the resort corridor. Children use the bike lanes every day (to get to school or just to get around) although they are very careful. Most have considerable experience in judging what a visitor in a rental car will do next. Gulf Blvd is an urban biking environment. There are very few bike-car accidents on the beach. Motorist are courteous to riders for the most part. I have been riding the length of St. Pete Beach at least once per day for more than a decade.

I have fallen off my bike a few times but never been knocked off of it in a bike lane. I will admit though, that I am considering opening a bike & books shop at Dolphin Village to cater to visitors by renting beach cruisers.

Have a wonderful vacation

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bikes

You know, Floridagulf is absolutely correct about the bike lanes. I use them myself. For some reason, I was thinking of a dedicated path for bicyclists that does not intersect with traffic. Just picturing the little ones...

Sorry for being so imprecise, and in fact, incorrect. :(

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bikes

My friends ride their bikes everywhere in St. Pete Beach and Treasure Island. There are bike lanes on both sides of the road, and I haven't heard of anyone getting hurt. Also, you might want to bike on the Pinellas Trail which goes from Downtown St. Petersburg to Tarpon Springs. There's an entrance on Central Avenue and Pasadena, very close to the beach.

7. Re: Bikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 29, 2014