We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharks???

Which St. Pete Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, ME
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sharks???

My husband and I are leaving on Saturday for SPB. Someone who lives there during the winter recently warned us of bull sharks. What is the deal with this, and should we avoid the ocean??? I am really freaked out by this!!!

Florida
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharks???

Cue music.....da dum da dum You should also be aware of lemon,black tip, & nurse sharks as well as stingrays, jellyfish, alligators, lightning, and sunburn. Don't forget the drivers that have never seen a red light or are familiar with a turn indicator. The deal is The Gulf is home to many creatures most of which you would have no idea you were sharing space with if it wasn't pointed out in terms meant to scare.You have a greater chance of being hit by lightning, Florida is the lightning capital of the world, then encountering a shark. It is however gator mating season so they are on the move, be on the look out. I would suggest you throw caution to the wind and enjoy yourself.

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharks???

huh??

Florida
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharks???

What part did you find confusing? I basically pointed out many things that you could be frightened of in the state of Florida not simply bull sharks. I also stated that sharks were really the least of your worries when visiting The Sunshine State and that you should simply plan on enjoying your holiday and not worry. Hope that cleared it up for you.

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharks???

I am aware of the living creatures of the ocean-thanks. It is just a concern of mine. We were specifically warned of the bull sharks. I guess a young boy was bitten quite recently according to one of the winter residents. I live on the ocean in Maine and obviously sharks are not a concern here-although sunburn and lightning can be at times. Thanks for the warnings:)!!!

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharks???

Oh-I just got the music thing-very cute! :)

Florida
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharks???

hmm.... the last report, April 2006, we had was a boy off of Marco Island who was bitten on the hand and thigh after he foolishly dove into a swarm of bait fish which convienently were providing lunch for a black tip. The last boy bitten by a bull shark that I'm aware of was last year, nothing recently.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharks???

Commen sense. That's the keyword. We beach vacation in Florida every year, and always pick a different area of Florida. We have never had any close encounters with sharks. Our daughter, who is 11, spends every day in the ocean. I do keep a close watch on her and we try to always be on the lookout, as we are in -their-environment. Don't swim in the ocean at night or dusk or dawn, always keep an eye on your surroundings and don't swim or play in the ocean where people are fishing. Refrain from wearing shiny or reflective jewelry while in the water (you don't want to attract any unwanted attention, or look like bait.

One thing about St Pete Beach we did encounter daily were dolphins. Every day we would watch the dolphins swimming north off shore, not 100 yards from where we were in the water.

I am actually more concerned with Horseshoe Crabs and Jelly fish than sharks.

Try to relax and enjoy your beach stay, I know you will end up having a wonderful time. I understand your concern totally, some concern is healthy, but try not to let it get in the way of having a wonderful vacation.

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
83 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharks???

thanks!!

Jesup, Iowa
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharks???

okay, not going to worry about sharks, the jelly fish I understand but horseshoe crabs??? What do they do, other then they are a crab and we are in their world? Could use some common sense advice: how importatnt is this thing called teh stingray shuffle? Are water shoes or shoes of some sort really necessary int he water and when beach combing? (Son wears a 16 wide shoe and having trouble finding a cheap shoe that he can wear in the water!!) Thanks for the help, Becky

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharks???

If a stingray is accidentally stepped on, as a defense mechanism, the tail of the ray will flip upward and strike a puncture wound into the victim. That is why they tell you to shuffle your feet along the sandy bottom to alert the rays of your approach, they will usually get out of your way.

Horseshoe crabs are not really crabs, they are related to scorpions and land spiders. They are fairly big and and look very scary. They have a long tapering tail that looks like a barb, but they are harmless. They just scare me because they look so dangerous. You will probably see alot of them after high tide, the empty shell on the beach.