We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BBQ in or near Pass-a-Grille?

Ontario
Level Contributor
188 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
BBQ in or near Pass-a-Grille?

Heading to Pass-A-Grille in early February, Love authentic southern BBQ, Have been to Poppa's in Pinella's Park and loved it, but a little far away from where we are staying this trip, Anything closer to St, Pete Beach or PAG that I should check out?

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: BBQ in or near Pass-a-Grille?

Check out Smokin' J's! The restaurant and smoker are located in Gulfport, but they also have a storefront location at 6690 Gulf Blvd in SPB. Highly recommend the brisket, especially (but really, we love everything)!

www.smknjsbbq.com

We also like Beachwood BBQ at the Postcard Inn. It is a bit "fancier", but they, too, smoke on the premises and serve good authentic bbq.

And have you been to Ted Peters Smoked Fish, for a truly local bbq experience? They are in South Pasadena, just across the Corey Causeway from SPB. Smoked mullet and the smoked fish spread appetizer are must-tries! :-)

Ontario
Level Contributor
188 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BBQ in or near Pass-a-Grille?

Thanks Maya, I'll check out those leads. Yes, we were going to check out Ted Peters. Have heard about it, and with a Scandinavian background, smoked fish is always on the menu.

Ontario
Level Contributor
188 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BBQ in or near Pass-a-Grille?

Maya, that Smokin' J's storefront location on Gulf Blvd., is it in the little strip mall at 67th street? I assume the food here is shipped over from the main restaurant, so is it better to go to the actual source?

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BBQ in or near Pass-a-Grille?

I understand that one shop makes the sides and ships them to the other store and one store, (Gulfport) smokes the meat and sends it out to the beach. (At least thats what they told me when I ate there last this summer.....but; Just wunderin;

Is the one on the Beach still open? I have not seen any cars out front in some time?

Also Sonnys (Tyrone Mall area) is half decent (North Florida style) BBQ but also getting a little pricier than it used to be.

I wonder if Ontario Family Guy would bring us down some of the food the Trailer Park Boys eat, from a place called SwissChalet? I understand that it is very healthy & tasty BBQ, done without heavier sugar and mollases.

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: BBQ in or near Pass-a-Grille?

Hmmm...I am not 100% sure that the SPB location of Smokin' J's is still open, but I'll try to check today or tomorrow. I do like the GPort location cuz they have picnic tables out front (and they are right next to a great little inexpensive produce market, so I can walk over to shop after lunch!).

I had another thought yesterday morning as I was walking around the weekly Sunday Morning Market on Corey Ave. There is always a guy onsite at the Market selling barbecue - Mr I Got 'Em. Specialiteis are turkey legs and ribs, and his greens are deicious, if you are into the traditional sides.

Ontario
Level Contributor
188 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BBQ in or near Pass-a-Grille?

Ha Ha! Trailer Park Boys...Canada's version of trailer trash with a heart of gold.

Swiss Chalet is OK, but basically just a roasted chicken dinner. I wouldn't go out of my way for it. If you want chicken that's fast and not too expensive and (arguably) slightly better than KFC, then OK.

If the SPB location of Smokin' J's isn't open, it's OK. We will have a car, and I am willing to drive to get to good BBQ. It's close to the mall with the Beall's Outlet I'm sure the wife will drag me to anyway. I've had Sonny's several times and it's OK for a chain, but I prefer the smaller privately run places. I already mentioned Poppa's in Pinella's Park. Also had great ribs at the Smoke Shack in Daytona and a little roadside place near Ruskin had some of the best brisket I've ever had. Can't remember the name and a search didn't help, maybe they're not there anymore. Anyway, getting sidetracked and have to stop because I'm starting to drool on my keyboard. But I'll definitely give Smokin' J's a try, thanks guys.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BBQ in or near Pass-a-Grille?

Hey OntFA! I rode my bike (before the storms) by the BBQ branch here on the beach and it has newspapers taped up over the windows and no sign, I guess its just another casualty of our times. I wonder if it will make way for another tattoo or used clothes place.

I note Skidders just put up a very fancy new high tech sign today ahead of the season.

8. Re: BBQ in or near Pass-a-Grille?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 17, 2013