We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tradewinds Sandpiper....renamed...does it affect my booking?

Which St. Pete Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Slough, United...
Level Contributor
556 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Tradewinds Sandpiper....renamed...does it affect my booking?

Hi,

I booked at the start of July to stay at the Tradewinds Sandpiper. Since booking it looks like the name has changed to 'Guy Harvey Outpost'. I've emailed the hotel but have had no response and I fly out next week.

Does anyone have any info on this?

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tradewinds Sandpiper....renamed...does it affect my booking?

Tradewinds still owns and manages the hotel, so I am quite sure that your reservation is okay. I spoke to the gentlemen at the front desk a couple weeks ago about the rebranding, and they assured me that the changes are mainly cosmetic. The resort will continue to operate "with Tradewinds-style hospitality", to quote.

By the way, the new decor and artwork are quite striking! (As long as you like fish!) The guest rooms are getting new bedding, carpeting, artwork and flat screen TVs, too, as part of the change.

I hope you do hear directly from the hotel. No fun being nervous about a vacation!

Slough, United...
Level Contributor
556 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tradewinds Sandpiper....renamed...does it affect my booking?

Fingers crossed!

Spring Hill, Florida
Level Contributor
120 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tradewinds Sandpiper....renamed...does it affect my booking?

I have reservations for this month & I received an e-mail about a week ago telling of the renaming & explaining that m reservation is the same.

Slough, United...
Level Contributor
556 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tradewinds Sandpiper....renamed...does it affect my booking?

Hmmm I've heard nothing and they've not replied still!

cincinnati, oh
Level Contributor
10 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tradewinds Sandpiper....renamed...does it affect my booking?

The nice thing about staying at what used to be the Sandpiper is that you can use all the facilities at the main Tradewinds. Be sure to do that, as there are so many things to do and it is just lovely.

Just call to confirm that your reservation.

Edited: 1:11 am, April 25, 2013
St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tradewinds Sandpiper....renamed...does it affect my booking?

What is going on with Tradewinds/Guy Harvey on Tripadvisor? Suddenly they are getting tons of reviews by one time reviewers, who seem to be also suddenly dropping names left and right. Something fishy about that to me. I've seen no other hotels having the same thing. Are they doing something to entice guests to leave reviews and mention names? Wondering if anyone has recently stayed there or if you could report back after you do. I'm wondering if they are doing anything that would be questionable.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tradewinds Sandpiper....renamed...does it affect my booking?

What, the TW doing something fishy? Never heard of such a thing. Good catch Isabella! Remember the newspaper coverage about their corporate Controller and IT gone to the dark side a month or so ago.

I thought the hotel was re-branded again in order to look like a new property and rationalize the room rates. Does anyone know when the original building was constructed? I was told by an employee about the licensing arrangement with Guy Harvey, He described a very expensive chunk of overhead to the rates. I had to believe him since he had a pretty impressive title.

The strange thing is, I have met very very few folks from outside the state who even know who Guy Harvey is? You say to them, you know, the high-end fish t-shirt guy. They reply "High-end fish T-shirt?" Maybe they should have re-branded the old building as the "Tiffany" or "apple" resort.

On the positive side, the building properties always have a nice paint job.

Edited: 2:48 pm, May 01, 2013
Barnegat, New Jersey
Level Contributor
35 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tradewinds Sandpiper....renamed...does it affect my booking?

Just returned from Guy Harvey two days ago and yes they are doing something when you check out. They actually tell you to mention people that work there and to give them a good review on Trip Advisor. They wrote their names down on a card. Personally, I would never do that and don't think its ethical at all. Really bad PR work!! Of course, I would give a specific person(s) a good review if they actually did something positive for me, but I would never do it if I never met them before. Not good at all.

bradenton,florida
Level Contributor
43 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tradewinds Sandpiper....renamed...does it affect my booking?

someone needs to let tripadvisor know about this. As this is not allowed per there guidelines. If something looks suspicious - report it! Tripadvisor investigates instances of hotels telling guests how to rate them...

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tradewinds Sandpiper....renamed...does it affect my booking?

Very interesting.......