We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you think...St. Pete Beach? (weather)

Albia, Iowa
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What do you think...St. Pete Beach? (weather)

Hi. I am a kdg. teacher, who waits all year for this wonderful week to arrive..coming down to the beautiful area of St. Pete Beach. Now...Mz. Debby has shown her ugly face. We will be arriving on Thursday, June 28, from Iowa.. What do weather forecasters say for that area that day? Anything would be helpful. I have about made myself sick worrying... Thanks in advance for your replies. :) We will be staying in the Grand Plaza. Again, Thanx!

**Also, any info. on what it is like there now would be greatly appreciated. :)

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
391 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you think...St. Pete Beach? (weather)

The resort corridor does not appear to be damaged, (where your hotel is). It is very wet and very windy. There is coastal flooding of many roads and homes at high tide. The storm is expected to continue to impact us in some form until Thurs. It should dry up quickly after that. It will be interesting to see what washes up on shore by Friday.

The Gulf is plenty stirred up right now and is not suitable for swimming in any safe way.

There is flood and wind damage to some areas of the island, especially the south end in the PAG area. There is plenty of debris down and the roads and the damage to many waterfront homes and marine assets is considerable. But NOT to tourist areas. In my case, our sea wall was breached, We have had water approx 8' into our yard at high tide, our pool has been filled with saltwater, we have had some tree damage.

There are tourists walking on Gulf Blvd and on the beach watching the high surf. Most eating places are open as usual, as is Publix. The free beach rides also have services of some sort still running. Planes seems to be coming and going reasonably on schedule from TPA.

I would be confident coming for a vacation at the end of the week.

Edited: 9:57 pm, June 25, 2012
Albia, Iowa
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you think...St. Pete Beach? (weather)

God bless you for responding. I so much appreciate your message. You don't know how much better you have made me feel. I am so sorry for your inconveniences you have had in your own area. I feel bad for the residents and all the damages. My heart goes out to all of the Florida residents. We will come and enjoy what we can. If that means helping sandbag an area, then by God we will. As I used to be a Floridian myself. :) My heart is with you all. Thanks again. If anyone else would like to contribute, please feel free. I would like to know anything/everything going on there right now. Thanks again! And God Speed with that Mz Debby!

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you think...St. Pete Beach? (weather)

Just wanted to echo the previous poster. No reason to stay away. The forecast for the upcoming weekend looks like typical summer weather - hot and sunny with a slight chance of afternoon thunderstorms.

Now, get packing, and don't forget the sunscreen! :-)

Albia, Iowa
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you think...St. Pete Beach? (weather)

Thanks, Maya58. :) I am just pacing around worrying and checking the weather about 100 times a minute. I should just knock it off and go pack! It's good to know it should be nicer. Just a bit worried about the "flying" part now. :-)

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you think...St. Pete Beach? (weather)

Should be fine when you get here. Most of the time, it is drier for a few days after a tropical system passes, so, this is a good thing for you!! Quit pacing the floor !! Hope you have a great trip!

Albia, Iowa
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you think...St. Pete Beach? (weather)

Thanks! I am feeling better every hour. It looks like Debby is losing some strength. That is also a good sign. I just wish she would disappear now. :)

***Thanks for your help and well wishes for our trip.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
209 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you think...St. Pete Beach? (weather)

Thank you, thank you, thank you! We too, are set to arrive on Friday and staying at the same hotel. :) We are coming from PA and I too, have been having a mini breakdown. Hopefully, everyone survives without too much damage.

Trip Advisor and all of you are wonderful! My mind is eased a bit too and I AM packed. lol

Bring on the Florida sunshine!

Thanks again and sorry to bust in on this conversation. ; )

Albia, Iowa
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you think...St. Pete Beach? (weather)

LBogie, I'm glad I'm not alone in my "breakdown" lol. :-) Be sure to check out Bongo's and get a sunset shooter while you watch the sun set. These wonderful people on here have eased my worries. Maybe we will see ya. Hope your trip is safe and great fun!

SPB, FL
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you think...St. Pete Beach? (weather)

And before you order anything at Bongo's, be sure to sign up for their "Beach Club"! It's free and gives you discounts on food and bevs. Can't beat that!

BTW, the sun is shining and things are drying up. Still breezy with an occasional stronger gust, but getting nicer. :-)

Iowa
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you think...St. Pete Beach? (weather)

tjloveflorida we are traveling in from Iowa on those same dates.......however we are staying in PAG so I'm hoping that area hasn't had too much damage.

It's amazing the amount of damage just a tropical storm can do......very scary that's forsure and I've had to convince my 7 yr old that it will be safe to go.....we've been coming to Florida every year since 2008 and he loves it there but I've had the weather channel on 24/7 watching the happenings of evil Debby so I'm sure that hasn't helped his fears.

Like everyone else my heart goes out to all of you and your family's.