We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin watching.

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphin watching.

I've got 3 nights at the Alden booked in May and would like to go Dolphin watching, any suggestions for the closest/best charter to take my new wife to?

Thanks

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin watching.

We also stayed at the Alden in October of 2004. My daughter and I took the dolphin cruise from John's Pass. Very reasonable cost and an hour or so trip. Immediately had dolphins jumping right next to the boat and got some fantastic pictures and had a very enjoyable outing. John's Pass is just 10 or 15 minutes north of the Alden and is a great little area for shopping and dining as well. They run the dolphin cruises every 2 hours or so and we just bought our tickets right before-had checked into purchasing them ahead of time but there was no need to. I do think we picked up some discount coupons off the pier the night before.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin watching.

We stayed at the Sirata last July for 9 days. Took one of the Dolphin cruises, pricey and never saw one single Dolphin. However, just playing in the surf outside of our hotel, saw Dolphins every single day. Early in the morning, sitting on the beach, the pods of Dolphins would swim by heading north, out in the water during the day, dolphins swimming right by us, not 100 yards from where we were in the water. Diving under water you can hear the Dolphins communicating as they swim by. The Alden is very close to the Sirata so you might want to save the cost and just enjoy the Dolphins from your beach. One of the Dolphin cruises will reimburse you if you don't see Dolphins, but they only do that for certain cruise times. Your hotel will provide you with info on the many different dolphin charters that are available.

Boston
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin watching.

I stayed in St Pete last week,we went on a 2 hour Dolphin Cruise, it runs every day from 1-3 and makes a nice stop at Shell Island, a small island where you can collect lots of nice shells. we picked up the boat right out on the beach behind the Dolphin Resort, just a little ways down from the Alden. I think it was called Mikes Dolphin Cruise, they also do parasailing etc. the cost is $35 per adult $25 children, and we saw lots of dolphins, it was fun ...

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
95 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin watching.

Mikes Dolphin cruise sounds pretty ideal to me, that's as exciting as I want for my time at St Pete Beach. Many thanks for all the replies, I'm sure the new wife will love it.

Get answers to your questions about St. Pete Beach