We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Which St. Pete Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Springfield, MA
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Staying in a condo in Tierre Verde. Best place to rent a car at the Tampa airport? Go right through the rental car websites or ?? Seems very expensive from what I have found. Any suggestions?

Maine
Level Contributor
57 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

We just spent Christmas week at St Pete Beach. We then went to Key Largo for another week. I needed a rental car and it was crazy money for that time period. I ended up with Budget using a code got it for 13 days for 431.00. I sent you a private message with info on discount codes. Keep in mind if you have a spouse that will be driving as well alot of the companies will charge you extra for that. Budget does not. They come with Sunpasses that have an on/off switch. You only turn it on if needed. If you don't use it you aren't charged. I think that rate is 2.95 or 3.95 per day plus tolls. I spent an entire morning checking a bunch of codes on all the different companies, nothing came even close to Budget. I made the mistake of signing up for a Budget account. I couldn't get it to accept codes, I ended up having to use my backup email address to reserve. Hope this helps!

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
15 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

I Recommend Thrifty. Subscribe to their Web Site and receive Specials via E-Mail. When you see a Special you like , Reserve it .Pay on Credit card when you pick up the Car. Print your reservation out from your Computer and have it handy when you pick up the car. Do not let them talk you into a higher rate when you arrive. Have your print out with you.

Thrifty also owns Dollar Rent a Car.You may want to subscribe to that also and if you get an offer for a better price, call either one of them to have your reserved price reduced.

You can only use one Discount code and they usually end up the same price.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

If you go with Dollar/Thrifty do not opt in to use their toll transponder in case they try to get you to do so. See www.sunpass.com for details

West Springfield, MA
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

Got a reservation from Thrifty seemed to be the best price. Still looking around for more deals just in case. Going to look at sunpass is this something I will need?

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

No, you wouldn't need a Sunpass around the Tampa or the Gulf side of Florida. Any toll you are likely to meet will take cash. Tampa does have a cashless toll road, the Selmon Expressway but that is used by the daily commuters and there is absolutely no need for visitors to be on it.

So don't let the Thrifty agents make you feel you have to use their transponder. I just wanted you to be aware of it.

lakewood, colorado
Level Contributor
502 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

Not sure when you are going, but about a week or so before your trip (even the day before) check prices again for the same company and car - prices often go down quite substantially! Just be sure to reserve with the new prices before you cancel the first one .....

Edited: 7:31 pm, January 21, 2012
West Springfield, MA
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

Thanks for the tip. I will keep checking prices and see if anything goes down in price.

Joppa
Level Contributor
44 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

I typically make a reservation for a vehicle and then check back periodically as our vacation gets closer to see if the rates are any better - anywhere we go. Makes no sense to me that you'd get a better rate closer to the date than reserving in advance, but that has been my experience any time we've needed a car rental.

Can anyone advise whether we'd need the transpoder if we drive to Orlando or Sanibel?

THANKS!.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,377 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental

lsb040 ... driving to Orlando or Sanibel from where?

Joppa
Level Contributor
44 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental

St. Pete Beach - Grand Plaza Beachfront.