We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin Beach

London, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphin Beach

I was just about to book my 2nd week at the Dolphin as part of a 2 centre holiday, but I have just read the reviews!!!Oh my God , is it really that bad???Please advise me. We usually stay at Hojo, but that one is not available from our tour operator.Thanks in advance

UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin Beach

Hi,

Stayed at the dolphin for three nights at the begining of August.

It was disgusting !!! roaches, rude staff, filthy rooms, old dirty beds, I could go on and on.

It has a great situation on the beach but if anywhere else is available then go there.

As long as tour operators send people here they will not bother to upgrade. It is really bad.

Debbie

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
482 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin Beach

We only had a two night stay at Dolphin beach (Jan 2004) and that was dreadful. The hotel really was filthy and most things in the room were broken or damaged as well as dirty. We would have checked out immediately however we had to pay up front on check in and hotel would not refund any of it. Reception staff were rude to the extreme. I've never experienced a "manager" who turned their back on us and walked away in the middle of a conversation. We should have gone elsewhere though because it kind of spoiled what had otherwise been a fantastic holiday.

I had hoped it would have improved since then however the reviews don't seem to suggest so.

I would avoid it like the plague - maybe look at Sarasota or somewhere else on Gulf Coast for your second week?

England
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin Beach

My husband and I bookes via Airtours for St Petes Beach and we chose Dolphin Beach Resort as it looked good in the brochure and best of all had a full size fridge. Upon arrival although my immediate reaction when seeing the room was one of disappointment, we became used to the fact that this hotel was only a medium grade hotel. The room was clean, bedding changed every day. The manner of the 'manager' Billy, was less than average. He confirmed when I asked that he has staff that don't listen to him. All i had requested was more than the 4 coat hangers provided in the room! The Dolphin is in need of decoration and it does look grubby. Having said that, we had quite a nice room (123) we stayed for 14 nights and loved every minute. After all, with a beach and the Gulf right outside your room you won't want to stay inside a minute more than you have to. Their beach bar - Flippers - was good and your order for food arrived much quicker than it did if you were sat in the restaurant and placed your order! And the Ice machine in the corridor was great for the ice cooler you would take on the beach. The sea was polluted by 'red tide' (something that happens every year) for 3 or 4 days due to a previous hurricane. Its an algae in the water that is smelly and kills all the small fish. They were washed up on the beach and surprisingly were not tidied up by any beach patrol so the stench got quite bad in the heat. There was an acrid smell in the air that made you cough and sneeze. Finally, those cabannas on the beach are a rip off at $16 each!. Best to buy yourself a beach chair and parasol. Skidders for food is great. And if you see that airoplane flying over telling you that Bruno's is the best italian on the beac don't believe it. Try Gigi's.

London, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin Beach

Thank you everybody for you replies! I have booked the Plaza Beach!