We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Grand Plaza Hotel - St. Pete

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
212 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Beware Grand Plaza Hotel - St. Pete

I am posting this here because I believe that someone at the hotel is posting glowing reviews of their hotel, while the truth is that unsuspecting guests are suffering and in our case, it is confirmed that someone at the front desk stole my credit card number and tried to use it. When the general manager finally called me back several days later, she was into total cover-up, but it was too late.

During the only night we stayed here, we had unbelievable noise outside our door all night (doors were hollow), pot smokers in the maids closet just outside the door, only 1 elevator worked, and the entire hotel smelled like rotten fish. But the worst came after we left when we discovered from our credit card company that someone had stolen our credit card number and used it many times the day after we checked into the hotel. On one of the fraudulent charges, the crook was testing whether he could use the card for more charges and made the mistake of putting my home address in the on-line order. And of course, the only place the credit card was used where the vendor had my home address was the Grand Plaza Hotel. They make an imprint of your card to go along with the guest registration, unlike most modern hotels who swipe the card and their computers only reveal the last 4 digits to the front desk personnel.

I highly recommend that you rent a nice condo or stay at a hotel with a solid repuration and name familiarity to you or your acquaintances. This is serious.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
471 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware Grand Plaza Hotel - St. Pete

Rwaites

Have you posted a review of the hotel?

GP

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
212 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware Grand Plaza Hotel - St. Pete

Thank you for asking. I have tried twice. The first one just disappeared. I posted an abbreviated one last night and am hoping it gets through. Some travel sites email the hotel before posting to make sure that the poster was registered at that hotel. I have complained to TripAdvisor that the first one did not post, but no response yet.

I travel a lot on business, usually more than 150 nights a year in a hotel. I think I can say with certainty that the Grand Plaza is a very sick hotel.

Having to deal with changing your credit card number that is used a lot by legitimate vendors is a real pain because a hotel staffer stole it is a nightmare.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
212 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware Grand Plaza Hotel - St. Pete

By the way, I really appreciate your interest in helping travelers to St. Pete. It is a beautiful place.

casselberry, florida
Level Contributor
638 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware Grand Plaza Hotel - St. Pete

sorry about your experience. my brother and sister-in-law stayed there one time when it was a holiday inn, and they weren't impressed. if you look at the last review posted, they want to charge them for a broken murphy bed after the maids said it was broken for weeks! not a good place, IMO

we stay at a place (my brother and sister-in-law included) called the plaza beach resort or the bayview plaza on the bayside-(owned by the same people). i have been staying there for 4 years, and i feel so comfortable, i leave money, cell phone, digital camera, I-pod, and credit cards and NOTHING has ever been touched! that says alot for the place! it's all family owned and operated and they respect YOU and YOUR BELONGINGS!

it's nothing fancy, but it's clean and a great price and HONEST people run it. i'm sorry about your experience, but is you EVER come back to st. pete, give these people a try- your stuff and credit card number will be safe!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
212 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware Grand Plaza Hotel - St. Pete

Thank you, Poocher. I'll remember that.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
471 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware Grand Plaza Hotel - St. Pete

Thanks rwiates,

nice to be appreciated!

Boston...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware Grand Plaza Hotel - St. Pete

Having just returned on 7/31 from a four night stay at the Grand Plaza I feel I need to respond. While it is most unfortunate that a hotel staffer allegedly stole the guest's credit card number, I don't feel that should reflect negatively on the hotel as a whole,or the rest of it's staff. It is a sad fact of life that dishonest people exist everywhere. We had no problems with our stay. We did not hear excessive noise, smell pot smokers or rotten fish. While one elevator was broken for part of one day during our stay, it did not ruin our vacation. The doors slamming do echo in the rooms, but, again, it did not keep us awake. We found the staff very friendly and accomodating and were very pleased with the hotel. It is not a "luxury" hotel, and the bathrooms are a little small (but still large enough to do what you need to). I have no "connections" to this hotel, In fact, the last time I stayed there was over 20 years ago when it was a Hilton. This is a "beach hotel" in a "beach town." We enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

8. Re: Beware Grand Plaza Hotel - St. Pete

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, September 07, 2009