We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

space shuttle launch worth the trip?

7 posts
Save Topic
space shuttle launch worth the trip?

I will be spending a week with the family in St. Pete and just found out there is a shuttle launch scheduled while we're there. How long is the drive to Cape Canaveral and will it be worth the trip? Thanks for all the advice!!!!!!!!!

Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: space shuttle launch worth the trip?

Hi, just google earthed it and it comes up as 157 miles said it will take 2 hours an 40 mins coul this be right ?

Level Contributor
156 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: space shuttle launch worth the trip?

Usually takes me about 3 hours to go from the east coast to St. Pete.

imallin, read here for excellent and thorough shuttle launch viewing info: launchphotography.com/Shuttle_Launch_Viewing…

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: space shuttle launch worth the trip?

It will be closer to three hours. The problem with going to see it is that you never know if it will be postponed.

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: space shuttle launch worth the trip?

True, you never know if it will be postponed. Also, if it's a clear day, and you can get an unobstructed view to the East, you can see it from St. Pete. I drove over once for a launch and really, you can't get close enough where you can see much of the shuttle itself. Just some flame, and a bigger/thicker smoke trail than you see in St. Pete. It does get pretty crowded on launch days around the cape and Cocoa, and the traffic can be pretty bad. Not really worth it in my book, although if someone was a particularly big space/NASA fanatic, it would probably be worth it just to get as close as possible.

5. Re: space shuttle launch worth the trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 pm, September 05, 2009
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question