We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how is the water clarity on St George Island

Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
how is the water clarity on St George Island

Hi Folks,

I was wondering if anyone knows how is the water clarity on St George Island as compared to like Grayton Beach up near Panama City? There I remember the water being so amazingly clear as you swim out, presumably because the gulf stream comes up close to the shore there. I will be staying in Apalachicola and want to experience a beach with clean white sand but has clear water too.

Brandon, MS
Level Contributor
100 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how is the water clarity on St George Island

The water clarity in SGI is not like Panama City or Destin where you have near year round emerald green water. Now that said, water at SGI is just as clear and as pretty as those other areas. We have seen where it has been crystal clear and when not so clear. Of course depending on weather, tide, and high surf, it can change the water clarity. The beach is natural and not manicured such as those areas in Panama City. Lots of shells and sea weed and other sea life to be found. Which is what we love most about SGI the natural setting. Be sure to go down to the State Park and walk the beaches. Lots of sea treasures to be found there.

Go out to Flickr, tumblr, or even a google, or Bing search for images of SGI. You will find numerous photos that may give you an idea of what to expect of the water and sand. Have a great trip to Apalach and SGI!

Charlotte
Level Contributor
166 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how is the water clarity on St George Island

Grayton is nice, near Santa Rosa. SGI really not that clear. Closest approximation might be Cape San Blas State Park.

J M
Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
502 posts
308 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how is the water clarity on St George Island

Although beautiful, SGI water is not clear. Close by at St Joseph State Park at Cape San Las, the water is pristine. Worth the drive from Apalachicola. Not far at all.

http://www.floridastateparks.org/stjoseph/

Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how is the water clarity on St George Island

Thank you Nashville

you are correct SGI water was not clear at all and a spooky kinda algae green color and not that clear

will check out St Joseph State Park at Cape San Las on another visit

thanks for your reply

Edited: 9:25 am, June 06, 2014
Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how is the water clarity on St George Island

thanks sleepless

yes I have been to crayton beach in the panhandle and remember the water beings as blue and clear as any in the caribbean

SGI's water quality was a spooky kinda algae green color and not particularly clear...certainly not one of the best beaches in the united states, as some have claimed

will check out Cape San Blas State Park on another visit

thanks for your response

Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how is the water clarity on St George Island

hello SGI bound

thanks for your response

the water clarity and color of crayton beach is what I was looking for but the water at SGI is poor....a spooky kinda green algae looking and not very clear at all

I did enjoy the natural setting in a state park and did a short 1 mile hike that meanders through the pine flatwood forest to the bay called the East Slough Trail featuring boardwalks, resting benches and information on the resources there

next visit we will check out the suggested St Joe Peninsula

THX

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how is the water clarity on St George Island

It's a function of wind direction and speed. Today is clear last 3 days cloudy. No wind today. Being at the mouth if the bay sgi tends to get algae from the very shallow bay

Brandon, MS
Level Contributor
100 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how is the water clarity on St George Island

On Sunday and Monday this week the water was a bit cloudy and at thigh high you could barely see your feet. On Tuesday the water was very clear and beautiful emerald green and clear enough for us to wear goggles and look for shells. Rainy today but it appears the water is still fairly clear.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
192 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how is the water clarity on St George Island

I need to chime in here...I have been to SGI 15+ times and the water has always (except for after heavy rain) been emerald green clear. To me it's the same clarity & color of water you get on the pacific coast of Mexico. It's not as clear as Destin bit clear none the less. I have never ever seen green algae. Now I have never been to SGI in the Summer so the heat may have something to do with it. All my visits have been in the spring and fall seasons.

10. Re: how is the water clarity on St George Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 13, 2015
Get answers to your questions about St. George Island