We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing from shore on SGI? ..Home in Plantation.

Atl. GA.
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing from shore on SGI? ..Home in Plantation.

Have a rental there in 2 weeks. What has your experience been fishing from shore? Bottom or top Fishing? What kind of fish have you caught? Can you cast from shore out to 2nd or 3rd sandbar? And experience w/ night fishing?

Thank you!!

Atl. GA.
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing from shore on SGI? ..Home in Plantation.

For that matter, where is the best place to buy bait on SGI? Have luck w/ shrimp? Squid?

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing from shore on SGI? ..Home in Plantation.

do a search on my name--ive left alot of posts on fishing from shore--- if you use shrimp get some from one of the 2 guys who sell fish et al from SGI--they are in vans near the lighthouse-- squid doesnt work very well,except for catfish--use fresh shrimp, not frozen. Youll need at least a 10ft rod and a large reel for casting. I find if you fish in the right spot you can catch plenty of fish from the sand.High tides are best, but at low you can walk out to the sandbar for deeper water. Also Fish Bites, an articfical bait work well --i buy mine on line red and chartruse color work well. Use a circl hook 1/0 work well--use a rig that gets the bait off the bottom about a foot to slow down the cats . The fish shop is called survivor.I use a dual hook rig--if the water is clear you wont need any beads, its its murky use a rig with red colored beads on it-PM me for any other questions--if you like fishing i hghly recommned hiring a guide for hale a day I use Chip Bailey and have always caught liits od reds and trout---its not cheap but its great expewrience---hell clean the fish for you.Chip is a graduate bilogist and is frothe area--my wife generally comes with me and reads

Atl. GA.
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing from shore on SGI? ..Home in Plantation.

Thanks for the help! Is it worth walking down to the govt cut? I see many people reference it.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing from shore on SGI? ..Home in Plantation.

you can drive there and park--im 68 so dont want to fool with walking on the rocks--but you can catch them on a rsing tide--ive caught a 25lb red from a boat there--youllloos e alot of rigs in the rocks though--i live in dunwoody so if you want to meet and talk about techniques etc., PM me bobl

Atl. GA.
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing from shore on SGI? ..Home in Plantation.

Thanks! That is really nice of you to offer (I live in Cumming) but I am there w/ kids and probably won't be that serious about it. I am intrigued by the sandbars and sharks though (I dive as well and it would be fun to snorkel out and try to find them - without kids). Where there are sharks, there are fish I suppose. Since moving from Florida, I have gotten rid of much of my saltwater gear. Where in your opinion should I look locally to get some decent rigs? Does Walmart just sell junk as far as salt water rigs are concerned? Thanks again!

6. Re: Fishing from shore on SGI? ..Home in Plantation.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, June 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about St. George Island