We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in St. George Island

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
259 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in St. George Island

We have never been to this part of the panhandle and wanted to stay in the St. George Island area for 3 nights on our return trip from New Orleans. Looking for a town with good restaurants and to stay at a hotel or B&B within walking distance of good restaurants. We are two adults travelling with no children and my husband would like to get a game of golf in at the St. James Golf Course which looks beautiful. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1. Re: Where to stay in St. George Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, September 16, 2015
Atlanta
Level Contributor
53 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in St. George Island

St. George island is great with a few good restaurants. St. George Inn is a nice B&B but not on the beach.

If you want to visit the island ( beach) for the day, an option is to stay in Apalachicola. There are more restaurants, a lot of shops, and several b&bs.

Most of the visitors rent homes when visiting SGI.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
294 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in St. George Island

Staying on St. George is mostly about renting a house or staying at one of the condos (300 Ocean Mile Condos are the best). And these options mostly rent for longer periods of time than three nights. There is the Buccaneer motel and the St. George Inn, but both are a bit sub-par quality-wise.

So, given that, I'd recommend staying in Apalachicola, just across the bridge where you have at least three great options---the Gibson Inn hotel, the Consulate and the Water Street Hotel (the latter really condos--all water front on the river). Then go to the island for day trips.

Really, the best eating these days is on Apalach--Owl Café, Boss Oyster, Caroline's, Up the Creek Raw Bar, plus lots of shops. The island is great for a beach experience (see the State Park) but overall for three nights, you'll do better staying an Apalachicola. In my opinion.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in St. George Island

if youre travelling before may 31 there are a few homes on SGI that rent for nights--if after that they are basically weekly rentals. There is lots more to do in Apalachicola, so finding a motel there would probably work better for you.The Gibson inn has been there over a 100 years and has sveeral historic period decoratd rooms yiu can stay in.But definitely go to SGI for the beach its a terrific place

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in St. George Island

If I were you I would definitely stay in Apalachicola. Great restaurants, shops, art galleries... Best places are the Water Street Hotel, Coombs Inn, The Gibson or The Consulate

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
259 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in St. George Island

Already done, Madisonlke. Made rsvps last week at the Combs Inn for 3 nights. Can't wait. I think we will love the town too, especially trying all the great restaurants and overdosing on oysters. Thank you much.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in St. George Island

if you like crab, appalch is the best spot fr soft shelled crabs.Theres a guy in the area who raises them so theyr always fresh.I find the Blue Parrot has the largest ones, but Boss Oyster is very good as well.If yoy drive to the island you can eat outside overlooking the beach at Blue Parrott--pretty cool Carolines and Boss also have outside eatiing as well

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
259 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in St. George Island

Thanks. I am cutting/pasting your suggestions with me. We will definitely check out Blue Parrot. We love all kinds of seafood. Boss Oyster and Caroline's were already on my "must do" lists but BP was new to me. Thank you very much.

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
193 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in St. George Island

Great! Hope you have an enjoyable weekend in Apalachicola! Let us know how you liked it. My favorite restaurants are...The Owl Cafe, The Tap Room at the Owl, Up the Creek Raw Bar, Tamaras, Boss Oyster...

For "Happy Hour" check out The Gibson Inn's bar, The Tap Room and on the island the Blue Parrot & Eddie Teaches.

Two of my favorite "stores/art galleries" are The Green Door & The Tin Shed.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,124 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in St. George Island

am definitelynot a shopper, but theres a nautical themed shop i enjoy almost across the street fromBoss Oyster---have all kinds of neat stuff--last year i bought a life presevre from a buoy off alaska-funplace for real souvenirs--they negotaite on prices

Get answers to your questions about St. George Island