We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me about St. George Island!

Saint Charles...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tell me about St. George Island!

We're thinking of taking a family trip next June & this island popped up. We know NOTHING about the place. Taking our married children, their spouses and 3 grandkids (little ones). Looking at a house rental on the beach. Are the beaches good-anyplace to go out for a happy hour/cocktail-fishing-golf-grocery stores-restaurants??? ANY information would be helpful. Thanks a million!

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me about St. George Island!

check out the info on the top left on this site--basically its a very laid back spot, with just a couple of restaurants--no condos--beach almost empty even in season-- Appalchicola is about a 15 minute run for shopping et al--i have 5 grandsons under 8 and they loved it this summer

Monteagle, Tennessee
Level Contributor
132 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me about St. George Island!

Blue Parrot is a good place to go for Happy Hour, their drinks are pricey but excellent...and you are right on the beach so the cost includes the view. We don't care for their meals, but a snack of raw oysters and steam shrimp are as good as you can get on the island. It is kid and dog friendly. The nearest golf course is St James and it is about 3/4 of an hour east. Fishing is great from the beach, but I enjoy going to the bridge. Besides fishing you can talk to other fisherman and there is a bird that tries to steal your bait and catch. Groceries should be brought with you or there is a piggly wiggley in Appalchicola, and there are numerous restaurants in Appalchicola that are superb. There are seafood trailers in the middle of the island and they sell fresh caught fish and shrimp each day. You can also buy from them the day you leave to go home and they pack it up for you to put in your cooler. I lived in Lebanon, IL for 27 years and know St Charles well. We always went there to shop for Chrismas.

bigbomoho is right, look at this site, there is a lot of information here.

If you like small crowds, quiet beaches which are very kid and dog friendly, SGI is the place for you.

St. George Island...
Level Contributor
176 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me about St. George Island!

Try this link, Chamber of Commerce site for SGI, Apalach, etc.

apalachicolabay.org/index.cfm/…

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
197 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me about St. George Island!

SGI would be a perfect trip for you and your family. You will love both the Island and the cool town of Apalachicola. My top things to do while there would be...

Definitely go out on a fishing charter in the Bay. You will limit out on speckled trout and redfish. I go out with George from Journeys on the SGI. There is also great fishing to be had off the beach.

Enjoy a happy hour drink on the veranda at The Gibson Inn...great old classic bar in Apalach.

Have some fresh oysters and a cold beer at Eddy Teach's raw bar...a classic dive

Buy some fresh shrimp from Dougs tailor for a shrimp boil back at your beach house

Chill at the beach while your kids boogie board and play in the surf

Go out on a sunset boat cruise with Justin from Journeys. Make sure you go to Little St George.

Shopping and strolling through Apalachicola is a must...it's a very historic, quaint town. Excellent restaurants. Up the Creek Raw Bar, The Owl Cafe, Tamaras, Hole in the Wall Seafood Raw Bar, Papa Joes...

Rent some bikes for the week to cruise around the Island.

St James Bay is an excellent golf course about 40 minutes away

Bike or drive to the State Park on the East end of the island...gorgeous

A happy hour cocktail at The Purple Parrot overlooking the gulf waters...sweet!

Rent a paddle board or kayak for a day

You will love it! Have fun!!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell me about St. George Island!

MadisonIke, great post with very useful info.

However, I am unfamiliar with Little St George. Please elaborate. Thanks.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell me about St. George Island!

its the part of the original St George that was cut off to allow the passge to the bay to be built to allow the fishing boats easier access the gulf--only access is by boat

Atlanta
Level Contributor
650 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell me about St. George Island!

thanks, bigbomoho. What's over there that makes it interesting?

Red Bud, Illinois
Level Contributor
153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tell me about St. George Island!

Found SGI 12 or so years ago fell in love with it. I know make 2 trips there a year. Here is another link with more information. www.saltyflorida.com

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
312 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tell me about St. George Island!

We've been on SGI every summer since 1979 (my wife even longer) with, maybe, missing only two or three years that we didn't get there.

It is Old Florida personified---no high rise condos, very family-friendly and the best beaches on Earth. Go to the State Park for starters and grill up some hot dogs.

The gated Plantation is the island's high rent district and worth it if you're not on a budget. Also plenty of houses all over the island to rent. Lately we've been partial to renting a condo at 300 Ocean Mile, down near the State Park. Perhaps the only place to avoid renting is near the commercial district. Even though it's not much, you will probably want more privacy than that area affords.

Blue Parrot on the beach, with its Tiki Bar is great for happy hour. and dinner.

Also don't neglect Apalachicola, a short twenty minute ride to the west. Lots of Old Florida charm, shops (Grady Market) and restaurants. Get the fried Grouper basket at Boss Oyster and then tell me it's not the best seafood you ever ate. Also try Owl Cafe or Caroline's.

SGI, in short, is just a place to kick back and relax, enjoying the beach above all else. Does a vacation get any better?

P.S. Resort Vacation Properties is our preferred rental agency, especially since they are very pet friendly. some rental agencies take only dogs, but Resort will take cats--imperative for us.

Edited: 1:09 pm, September 02, 2012
Avondale Estates...
Level Contributor
71 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tell me about St. George Island!

Give it a few weeks. The beach is completely covered with grass from Issac. The odor and the flies will be bad for a few weeks , until that stuff rots down. I could barely get to the water yesterday, which was also filled with grass.

Edited: 6:07 pm, September 02, 2012
Get answers to your questions about St. George Island