We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Dog Friendly Beaches

Jax, FL
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Public Dog Friendly Beaches

We will be staying in the state park at the end of September. Are there Dog Beaches on the east side of the island? Dogs are not allowed on the beach within the state park. Our dog is fine under voice or leash control.

TIA

Monteagle, Tennessee
Level Contributor
123 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Dog Friendly Beaches

Dogs are welcome on all SGI beaches but the State Park. Make sure you bring a pooper bag and a leash just in case your dog sees something he might want to chase. We have a 11 year old lab and she loves SGI because she gets to come on vacation with us and because she loves playing in the ocean. She is worn out when we leave for home. I always bring some old towels and shampoo to wash the salt and sand off of her at the end of the day. Oh, and be careful of sand burrs, they can do a number of your puppy's paw pads.

Jax, FL
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Dog Friendly Beaches

Thanks Christee!

Poo Poo bags are always attached to her leash. We usually have her "go" before we go anywhere. We are prepared with towels and our camper has an outside shower. Will keep and eye out for the sand spurs, I know how they feel for people, let alone a dog.

Do you have any information on public beach area's where we could legally and safely park near the State Park. A lot of the area's appear residential and we do not want to trespass.

Thanks again :)

Jax, FL
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Dog Friendly Beaches

Sorry double post

Edited: 11:39 am, August 28, 2012
Atlanta
Level Contributor
630 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Dog Friendly Beaches

I think you and your dog are in for a treat. We stayed in the Plantation last year with our dogs and they had a fantastic time! While they are city dogs and were somewhat afraid of the ocean at first, they adjusted. My dog got his sea legs by day two and my sister's dog was willing to go into the water to meet up with my dog by mid-week. They screamed and acted crazy everytime I asked them "who wants to go to the beach??!!" We walked our dogs on the beach twice a day (early am) and at sunset and they loved it. During the heat of the day they willingly stayed with us under the beach umbrellas. We took fresh water for them for the walks, which they drank a lot of. They slept like they were drugged every night -- but eager to go the next day.

During a recent visit to the vet I was reading a dog magazine that warned of a dog who loved playing with a frisbee on the beach. Unbeknownst to the pet owner the dog was ingesting sand that was trapped on the rim of the frisbee. His bowels got impacted with sand and he had to have a life-saving operation to remove it.

I recently spoke to a woman who had gotten a new dog. She and her husband planned a trip to the beach based on the fond memories of their former dog who loved the beach. The new dog hated it. He wanted nothing to do with the ocean or the sand or walking along the beach. He panted and hated the heat. He had to spend the entire vacation in the hotel room. She said she felt like someone who planned a Disney World vacation for a child who hated Disney World! So, a beach vacation isn't for all dogs.

If you're staying at the stae park where will you keep your dog?

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Dog Friendly Beaches

according to beach rules no pets allowed on beach--only in campgrounds--so if your staying there,or plan on visiting with your pet, be aware--Ive fished from the shore there and Rangers patrol pretty often

floridastateparks.org/stgeorgeisland/aboutth…

Jax, FL
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Dog Friendly Beaches

Hi Pink Soda,

I agree about the Frisbee. We live in Jacksonville, FL and have heard the sand horror stories as well as dogs that drink salt water. She has been to the beach before and enjoys running and getting in the water up to her chest where the waves break but no further.

We have a newer model travel trailer with A/C and Heat as well as other amenities. She has been camping with us for nine years and is a great travel companion. Since she is getting up in age we will limit our beach time so she can chill out at the campsite with us.

Hi Bigbomoho,

Florida State Parks allow dogs at the campground, they just can't be at the beach or other facilities. We have been to St. George four times and never remembered seeing a public access beach with the exception of the State Park. We are looking for something outside of the park, but near it.

I won't have a "pass" to the plantation so that is out of the question. Just was hoping there was somewhere outside the state park on the east side we could go. She has her tags so she is legal :)

Edited: 3:07 pm, August 28, 2012
atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Public Dog Friendly Beaches

ive stayed ouside Planattio a few times and folks seem to just park on the 1st row and walk thru an empty lot to get to the beach -- we stayed at The Dome the last 2 times,its around 9th and trhere are empty lots near there---if not ,im sure that folks use the beach near the motel next to the Blue Parrot--i checked my note and id did say they were legal at the campgrounds

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Public Dog Friendly Beaches

out of curoisity i checked google maps to look for access points near the park.there are several about halfway so SGI Center Zoom in and look for paths with no house at the end--or if you have a high res screen, look for a garabge can at the end--could be a sign saying do not enter

Weve also stayed outside the planattion a few times and folks would just park on the street and walk across an empty lot--watch out for the burrs

Jax, FL
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Public Dog Friendly Beaches

Bigbomoho,

Thanks for doing the extra leg work with Google (no high res here at work). I just don't want to end up on someones property and get towed. I will be on the look out for signs. Oh and those burrs, we get them here in town. They get stuck in rugs/carpet.

I appreciate you responding and doing research for me. I like your fishing tips, I may have to get a hook wet while there.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Public Dog Friendly Beaches

you can just drive on East Gorrie, find a path or open lot and park the car-- where its only a single road like near the park, i agree parking wouldnt be a good idea--BTW the only need for high res is to see the garbage cans--you can see the paths,empty lots w/o high res

Get answers to your questions about St. George Island