We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooking/grilling ideas for SGI rental home

Atlanta
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Topic
Cooking/grilling ideas for SGI rental home

I would really like to know what others cook and grill while on vacation at SGI. It would be a great way for me to get ideas. Any meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks) or dish would be appreciated.

I cook a lot at home--and do cook elaborate meals--but I don't want to spend all my time in the kitchen, nor do I want to bring a ton of supplies while on vacation.

Does anyone bring frozen dishes? I'm wondering if I should consider cooking ahead of time, freezing, and transporting to SGI. What are some of the seafood dishes you prepare using local seafood?

Thanks. Any and all ideas are welcome!

Pinksoda

ps: We are enthusiastic omnivores. So nothing is out of question.

texas
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cooking/grilling ideas for SGI rental home

I am waiting on a reply email from our condo. On another post a poster who is a DE, said most condos do not allow grilling on balconys, so am unsure.

Our big thing we love is sirloin tacos. Just grill sirlions, then slice and put in corn tortills(or Flour if you like them better). Top with guacamole, salsa, and grilled onions and bell peppers, and shredded cheese.

Another taco we make is fish tacos, and then add coleslaw, and guacamole and salsa.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cooking/grilling ideas for SGI rental home

NDW, thank you very much. These two dishes sound really good!

texas
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cooking/grilling ideas for SGI rental home

And everyone can put whatever they choose on it.

We found out our condo has an electric grill on the balcony, so we will be good with using that to make these, in just under 2 weeks now. Can't wait.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,085 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cooking/grilling ideas for SGI rental home

Even if you are not allowed to cook on your condo deck......most condos have barbecue areas in the common grounds........

Chicken marinated overnight in a baggie with olive oil, lemon, soy and your favorite spices grills up really nice......make enough to have left overs for sandwiches the next day........

fresh corn on the cob, brushed with lime, garlic and pepper flakes, sprinkled with parmesan cheese, turn often........

Any fresh fish or shrimp on skewer, brushed with olive oil or butter and lots of minced garlic.....

Atlanta
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cooking/grilling ideas for SGI rental home

Thanks, folks. These are great ideas. Keep them coming.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cooking/grilling ideas for SGI rental home

We love to grill hot dogs, especially at one of the pavillions at the State Park. If you go mid-week you may have one all to yourselves. My wife, the vegetarian, likes her Morningstar veggie dogs, mine Kahn's if I can find them. Only thing is if you want to enjoy a beer, put it in a Solo cup or otherwise inconspicously enjoy it. Last time we were there a park Ranger asked me to pour mine out, which I did. He had me dead to rights becuase no alcohol is allowed in the park but really we were there by oursleves, not getting roariing drunk. but it was a change from the old days when we (and practically everyone else) would have a cooler full on the beach and the Rangers would just walk on by. Just saying.

And as far as grilling at a condo--it you're staying at 300 Ocean Mile Condos they have several public grills pool-side.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
647 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cooking/grilling ideas for SGI rental home

Thanks. This is another good idea. I love hot dogs and sausages. Your wife's veggie dog remind me of all the good selections for meat and meatless hot dogs at Whole Foods. That would be a good thing to take along from Atlanta.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cooking/grilling ideas for SGI rental home

Leave corn in husk and let it soak in water for about an hour. Toss on grill and turn regularly ~ this steam cooks the corn and it is the best tasting corn you will ever have. I just take it off when it has those nice char marks on it, maybe 20 minutes.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cooking/grilling ideas for SGI rental home

Only thing about grilling veggie dogs---bring your own. We didn't a couple of years ago and the local grocery stores had none.

texas
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cooking/grilling ideas for SGI rental home

I always hate going on vacation because it seems like we eat so much bread and no veggies. That corn sounds great, and you can also do asparagus on the grill. It is wonderful, too.

Get answers to your questions about St. George Island