We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any alligators on or near St. George Island?

northwesttennessee
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Any alligators on or near St. George Island?

Thanks to everyone for answering my vacation questions.

My 4 year old would like to see an alligator when we are on the island in mid-May. Are there any on the island or near the island?

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
292 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Any alligators on or near St. George Island?

I've never spotted an aliigator on St. George and I've been going there since the '70s. but then again, I've never gone looking for any either.

But I'm sure they're out there and if your son really wants to see them drive to Wakulla Springs (Ed Ball St. Park in Wakulla County). There's plenty of them sunning themselves on the far bank across from the swimming area. Take the Jungle Cruise and your son will see them up close.

Only thing is, it's a couple hour's drive from the island--on the way to Tallahassee.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
625 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Any alligators on or near St. George Island?

Last July we saw one while dining at Papa Joe's in Appalachicola. The restaurant is situated right on the water and the views of the bay are beautiful. He was long and big and swimming right outside the window. Some people suggested that the restaurant fed them for tourists to see. I don't know if that's true or not. I saw saw a small snake near the front door.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
292 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Any alligators on or near St. George Island?

Come to think of it, a few years we were staying at the Water Street Inn in Apalachicola, enjoying happy hour on our screened porch that overlooked Scipio Creek.

I pointed out a "log" floating by but then realized this log was floating upstream. Of course, it was a big ole alligator--probably a ten footer.

Avondale Estates...
Level Contributor
64 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Any alligators on or near St. George Island?

They can be found in the bayous in the State Park.

Avondale Estates...
Level Contributor
64 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Any alligators on or near St. George Island?

They killed one at Bay City Lodge over in Apalach a few years back. He was 18' long and his tail was cut off, probably bitten. The trappers said he would have been the biggest gator every killed in Florida if he had his whole tail.

Jimmy Mosconis had the hide tanned and it is on display in the bait shop.

Avondale Estates...
Level Contributor
64 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Any alligators on or near St. George Island?

There are a bunch of gators in the Apalachicola River. Go up to Bay City Lodge. They caught one in their lagoon a few years back that was 18 feet long. Would have been the largest ever killed in Florida, but someone bit his tail off! They have the skin hanging on the wall in the bait shop.

I have not seen any this year in the state park, but I did see one last summer at Labor Day.

Avondale Estates...
Level Contributor
64 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Any alligators on or near St. George Island?

Opps...it is now 2013...Oh well....

Avondale Estates...
Level Contributor
64 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Any alligators on or near St. George Island?

Trappers caught a 10 footer on the beach in the Plantation last week.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
625 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Any alligators on or near St. George Island?

Oh my gosh, a 10-ft alligator! That's shocking. Who are these trappers?

Brandon, MS
Level Contributor
100 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Any alligators on or near St. George Island?

Resort vacation properties has a pic posted of the gator on their FB page

Get answers to your questions about St. George Island