We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doug or Dales seafood...and The Market Place

USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Doug or Dales seafood...and The Market Place

Did one of the fellows, Doug or Dale, open a store to sell his seafood, or are they both still selling from their trailers that they bring to the island each morning?

Also, The Market Place - is it still open or has it been displaced by the new grocery store that was supposed to be built? We come down yearly in Sept and the new grocery hadn't been built yet.

Thnx!

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doug or Dales seafood...and The Market Place

the market center closed and merged with the convenience store thats the first one on the island as you comeoff the bridge. It has all the same stuff as the old store,cut meats etc, They merged because a new large market was built adjcant to the beach apparel store thats on the corner that was built a few years ago. To me the merged store is better and less expensive

USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Doug or Dales seafood...and The Market Place

Good to know that The Market Place has survived - I love that store. Did they keep the same name?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
40 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doug or Dales seafood...and The Market Place

We were there at the end of May and Doug was still selling out of his trailer but had bought a lot that he was going to build a store on. Not sure when it will be done. Man does he have some good seafood!

USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Doug or Dales seafood...and The Market Place

Thnx IslandBoy82 - Yes, he and Dale both have good seafood. We hit one or the other every morning, first thing, and then gouge on seafood for lunch and dinner.

I heard that Eddy Teaches moved, do you happen to know where?

Thnx again!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doug or Dales seafood...and The Market Place

You can get better and cheaper shrimp and seafood in East Point. There is a red store and a blue store but the blue store is better. As for the Market Place, they did keep the name but I liked the other store better because it was more rustic and hometown looking as opposed to the convenience store look it now has.

USA
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Doug or Dales seafood...and The Market Place

sgivet - I know, I've been to the blue store...but, to go over there I have to drive back over the bridge and that hurts me mentally to do before my time is up on the Island! Maybe we'll try it again this year and buy two days worth at a time. ;)

Thnx for the reminder!!

Saint Louis...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Doug or Dales seafood...and The Market Place

Sounds like a great suggestion on Doug or Dave ... but, if they are still working out of their trucks .. where do they park? It's been a few years since we've been on the island .. and are going in September. Also, a few years ago, I heard that there is a truck that parks outside the gates of the Plantation very early in the morning .. is that correct?

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doug or Dales seafood...and The Market Place

NOPE--not this year anyway--dougs in his old spot evry day--Sept is agreat moth for fishing from the shore

Saint Louis...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Doug or Dales seafood...and The Market Place

But, where are Doug or Dale's spots ??? Where do they park their truck(s)?? We haven't been on the island in several years, but are coming in Sept - sounds like they have the best seafood (unless you are catching it yourself). Also, had you heard of the person selling shrimp outside the gates of the Plantation? And, if we are able to fish off the shore in Sept .. what's the most likely catch?? Thanks, bigbomoho ... you can come over and get them cleaned, and we'll get them fried up!

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Doug or Dales seafood...and The Market Place

i live in Atl so wouldnt be able to join you.After you come over the bridge and make the right trun to the Plantation, Doug will be on your left side in the empty lot a block up from the stop sign.As for fish, there are plenty of whiting,some speckleed trout in the surf.-If you check my posts ive recently posted how to catch whitng and contact for a very good guide as well to fish the bay.To surf fish, youll need a 10 ft rod,unless you want to stand in the surf all day--use25lb test line and 3-5 oz sinkers with 1/0 hooks and small shrimp--i use a pole holder for the rod and leave it until i get a fish--youll catch at least a dozen whitng in a few hours easy.I sit in my comfy folding chair with a cooler for my bait and beer,usually under a rented umbreela if its hot.PM me if you need more hints---bob

Get answers to your questions about St. George Island