We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack and how to make it easy?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
206 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
What to pack and how to make it easy?

I know we have to bring soaps and extra towels. What sort of things do you find handy to pack for a 7 day trip?

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack and how to make it easy?

we bring our fav pillows, binocs,books,laptop,,blanket,sun lotion,folding chairs, cell chargers,lap top charger,hats,wine,bread,crackers,cereal--you can buy cold stfuff at the new parket on the right as you come on the island,soft drinks,beer--there a new estuary museum on the raod just before the bridge thats well done--we did a very nice cruise up the river from Apalachicola--cant recall name but its run by Gill Autrey--if you all like fishing, the best guide is chip Bailey--also fav retsuarants are Blue Parrot on theisland and The Owl or that place off 98 in Appalch

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack and how to make it easy?

PS we always rent at least 2 umbrellas if we bring our adult daughters with us--the umbrella guys name is Dave 8503706793-hes alot cheaper than the rental spots on the island--he also rents catamarans, and i think jet skis.He'll drop off ,set up and get them when you leave.Theres lots of dolphins there now, and renting a kayak might e fun to get close to them--dave doesnt rent them i think, but theres a couple places that do. If you need directions let me know---

Edited: 9:14 am, June 29, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
206 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack and how to make it easy?

Thank you both so much. We do have our own kayak. So looking forward to having it there. We usually go to lakes and rivers so this will be the first for the ocean.

We are going to be there on Aug 6th and I am so excited.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack and how to make it easy?

if yours is a sit inside kayak,which most are, youll have a hard time if the waves are up.Ocean kayaks are called "sit on top" kayaks,since theres no place for the water to go---sit inside kayaks fill up fast with water and weigh a ton, so dont get hit by them when you fall out.It would be fun to take the kayak up the river in apalchicola--theres 2 rivers there, St Marks and Appalchicola and should be put-in places somewhere along water street id think.

Also we always bring a small cooler for the drive down, and to hold cold drinks on the beach.

If you have a smart phone, get the app, Google Sky--you can use it to locate planets etc--the Milky Way will be visible by Agust in case youve never seen it live--have fun

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack and how to make it easy?

PS again--of course bring a camera.If you intend on taking beach pics be VERY careful about sand,esp if its blowing--one grain of sand will kil a camera.i always bring mine down to the baech inside a sandwich bag.Take it out briefly to take your pics.Also, leave it outside your house to allow it to get used to the high humidity outside--otherwise your camera will fog up--itll clear in an hour

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
206 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack and how to make it easy?

Good advice on the camara. Thank you very much.

Yes our karak is the kid you set in. But it is like a canoe. One big hole instead od 2 little holes.

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack and how to make it easy?

Don't come at all unless you plan on hauling a generator and a portable ac unit. You will get scalped on every basic necessity from the business owners who do have power from batteries to ice,etc. We won't be back to st george island again.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack and how to make it easy?

if you do go up the river, theres a sand bar about 1/2 up on the East side---you can beach the kayak,swim,picnic--whatever.Check the tides though,the current is pretty strong there--youd want to go in on a rising tide (high) and come back on a ow tide.Since i fish alot i undrestand alot about tides--there are 2 high and 2 lows,each for 6 hours each.At the peak of high tide, afetr it hits the highest point,the tide will start going out,So if you went an hour before the "high" tide, youd catch the outgoing tide---have fun,we love that place--we always stay in the Plantation

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,070 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack and how to make it easy?

i dont understand at all what your talking about--i guess you were camping or something--sounds like you were treated poorly--Ive been going there for 25 years,renting houses and have NEVER had a hard time with anyone

Opp, Alabama
Level Contributor
568 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to pack and how to make it easy?

@ Epooler: It sounds like you expect to find supplies in a remote location like SGI at big-box store prices. It is a convenience to even have a store or restaurant in a location like this and you are paying for that. The same gas you would use to go to a less expensive store in a more populated area would be used by the store in a remote location to receive their items. You have the choice to do the driving yourself or pay the store for having already done that and saving you some time. And this is just very basic capitalism - supply / demand.

It also sounds like you had a power outage during your visit? If so... you chose to vacation in a remote spot but expect big-city type response to unpredictable storm damage? That's unreasonable. Not everyone requires such amenities as a/c when at the beach. If I'm staying all night, I prefer to do it in a tent where I can hear the ocean.

@ Reginasob: You should find calmer water for kayaking on the bay side of the island, especially in the morning. The state park probably has a dock/ramp. I don't go outside without a hat on, so would definitely pack that. Sunscreen and aloe are good to have. And some of that liquid bandage stuff and some tylenol can be handy. Without knowing what type of lodging you are using, how you are traveling, or what you and your group like to do, it's hard to make other suggestions.