We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach conditions

oshkosh
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
beach conditions

What is the condition of the beach and water on St George Island? Did the BP spill have any affect on this area?

Red Bud, Illinois
Level Contributor
153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach conditions

It did not reach St. George Island or anywhere close. I was there in October and it was clearer and had the most color I have ever seen and I've been going for years. It is beautiful. We are going back in June and Oct. Can't wait! I actually have a picture of the wave coming in and it looks like you could see right through it it's so clear.

Edited: 10:27 pm, March 25, 2011
oshkosh
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: beach conditions

I'm still searching for a place to stay. Do you rent a house when you go? Any ideas?

Red Bud, Illinois
Level Contributor
153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach conditions

Yes, we rent houses down there. That is mainly what there is..few condos/villas and no high rises.

It depends upon what you are looking for - how many bdroms, bath, location and your budget. There is a big savings if you can wait until after mid-August.

Here are the rental companies down there www.resortvacationproperties.com (all inclusive - includes all fees & insurance except taxes), www.collinsvacationrentals.com (does not include insurance and may have a fee), www.uncommonflorida.com, www.ficklingvacationrentals.com, www.stgeorgeislandvacationproperies.com. There is also a bayfront home in the Plantation we stayed at that is by owner only and a very good savings. It is 3 bdr./2.5 bath with 2 of the bathrooms sharing a shower - great layout. Here is the link http://www.vrbo.com/123566. Another good savings and great location for us was a place called "A Sea Splendor". It is on the East End and is beachside but still has great views and a private boardwalk. Check it out on the Resort Vacation Properties website. If you have a bigger budget, we stayed beachfront at Casa De Chill with Resort Vacation Properties. It was total luxury even down to the silverware.

We are staying at "Sea N' Double" this year. It sits back farther from the Beach on the East Gulf Beaches side. I haven't stayed there yet but it is with Resort V. Properties so I know it will be good. It has a pool, hot tub and firepit, path to the beach, close to town and a great price too.

There are tons of great houses in every budget level and all locations.

What time of year are you planning to go?

4. Re: beach conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, October 28, 2012
Get answers to your questions about St. George Island