We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. George Island, 1st visit, what is there to do?

Tavernier, Florida
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
St. George Island, 1st visit, what is there to do?

This is our first visit to St. George Island. We're going for a week near the end of July. We usually vacation in Melbourne or Flagler Beach but this year wanted to try something on the Gulf. We chose St. George Island on the advice of a friend and we heard it's a peaceful place. Of course we are super worried now, but we have decided that oil or no oil we have got to go support these folks on the Gulf. We're renting a house on the beach with a pool, so we're good there, but what else is there to do around that area? I heard Apalachicola is a neat town, so we're definitely gonna check that out but what else can we do that doesn't involve the beach - just in case?

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Apalachicola
Apalachicola
Florida Panhandle, FL
Journeys of St. George Island
Fishing Charters & Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing, Boat Tours, Gear Rentals
Saint George Island Lighthouse, Gift Shop and Museum
Gift & Specialty Shops, Lighthouses, History Museums
Island Charters
Fishing Charters & Tours
St. George Island...
Level Contributor
180 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. George Island, 1st visit, what is there to do?

SGI

Go explore the State Park

Ride a bike on the paved trail

Climb the lighthouse. If you enjoy it, there are 3 more lighthouses in the area that you can visit.

APALACH

Tour of homes in the Historic District

John Gorrie Museum

Have a drink on the porch of the Gibson Inn (1907)

National Estuarine Reserve

Vietnam Vet Park

Sail the Wind Catcher

Shop for antiques

Check out the Dixie Theatre

OTHERS

Take a shuttle over to St. Vincent Island

Hike Tate's Hell State Forest

Golf at St. James Bay course

Let me know if I can help.

florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. George Island, 1st visit, what is there to do?

Thank you for the info. We are going RVing on St. John's on July 18th and I know we will take some of your advice. We live in Navarre Beach and wanted to try a new place that is close by! The Gentrys

Missouri
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St. George Island, 1st visit, what is there to do?

Went to SGI for the first time last August. Loved it! But I feel the need to warn first timers about the mosquitos! I think that people don't tell this, thinking visitors won't come. I will always come back, but others in our party will never come back. I had a hint about the bugs form other blogs, but the rest of the party didn't, and if we all had been more informed, it would have been much better. Bug repellant first thing in the morning workked fine for all day though, so it wasn't a problem. Everything else about the island was wonderful!

Winston, GA
Level Contributor
12 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. George Island, 1st visit, what is there to do?

This is good to know. We're going for the first time ourselves in a few weeks, and are excited to make the most of our few days -- and first time -- at St. George Island. Everyone seems to rave about it.

Red Bud, Illinois
Level Contributor
153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. George Island, 1st visit, what is there to do?

I know the bugs are bad off the beach on the Plantation and at the campsites at the State Park. Is that where you stayed? I don't remember the mosquitos being bad on the other parts of the island. When we stay at the Plantation we bring backyard bug spray. It helps especially when you arrive after sunset and need to make many trips back and forth to your car to unload.

Tavernier, Florida
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: St. George Island, 1st visit, what is there to do?

Thanks to everyone for the great info! We're here now & having a blast! The beaches are just gorgeous here & I didn't realize how much other stuff there is to do. We've been over to Apalachicola for some eating & shopping we took a fishing charter out of Carrabelle. We caught our limit in red snapper! It has been a great trip so far & we can't wait to come back! When I was looking for things to do here, I found a bunch of good info on this website:

http://www.anaturalescape.com/

Edited: 2:24 pm, July 26, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Apalachicola
Apalachicola
Florida Panhandle, FL
Carrabelle
Carrabelle
Florida Panhandle, FL
Winston, GA
Level Contributor
12 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. George Island, 1st visit, what is there to do?

Great link, keysgirl! We'll be heading down next week ourselves. How's the weather? The bugs? The water? The crowds (or lack thereof)?

We're very excited. This is our first trip down.

Thanks!

Castle Rock...
Level Contributor
3 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. George Island, 1st visit, what is there to do?

I just got back from a week stay on Sunday, July 26th. SGI seemed to be the same as last year but there is a bunch of sea grass on the beach. You'll also notice containment boom from Apalch to SGI but don't let that worry you. Weather was great even with Bonnie in the Gulf. The average surf was between 1 to 2+ feet but was fun to play in. The bugs were not too bad in that a little bug spray wouldn't cover. For a day of non-beach activity, be sure to go to Apalach to the Seafood Grill. Have fun!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
95 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. George Island, 1st visit, what is there to do?

Is it possible to ride a bike along the beach at SGI? We are accustomed to doing so where we vacation in South Carolina and wondered if the sand packed tight enough here to do so? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
South Carolina
South Carolina
United States
Red Bud, Illinois
Level Contributor
153 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. George Island, 1st visit, what is there to do?

I've never seen anyone riding bikes on the beach at SGI. I"m thinking it is only really packed right where the waves are coming up on the beach...the rest of the beach I don't think it would be possible....sand it too fluffy.

Get answers to your questions about St. George Island