We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation on St. George Island

connecticut
2 posts
Save Topic
Vacation on St. George Island

Shrimper or anyone with answers:

Vacation time is growing near and I'm very worried about the area we rented. We haven't heard anything from our rental company, so maybe you could enlighten me as to the condition of the gulf beaches area. If it still flooded, if the beaches are in any condition to be used, if the electric, cable, and sewers are working. If the pools are useable. This our first vacation in many years and I don't want it to be a mess.

Thanks

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation on St. George Island

Shrimper - Or anyone with information on St. George Island - we are due to leave in a week for St. George Island and are very worried about the property we rented on the far West end of the Plantation area. I have heard nothing from the rental company even though I have been calling them several times a day for the last five days.

We don't know whether to try to find something somewhere else (it's going to be very difficuly to find anything this late in the summer!) or hold on and hope for the best with the property on the island. I have heard so many conflicting stories about the condition of St George Island and the properties, beaches, stores, etc. I don't know what to think!

Any updates??? Thanks.

Apalachicola
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation on St. George Island

Reply to both:

SGI is generally in good condition - which exceptions in the center of the Island (Gulf Beaches East - standing water), parts of the Plantation (many pools and boardwalks out - Casa Del Mar subdivision with problems), and 300 Ocean Mile (which is expected to be back up this Friday).

If you can provide the name of your rental house and/or location, I will confirm for you the status of the exterior appearance.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation on St. George Island

Thanks to Shrimper for keeping us informed about St. George Island!! We will be staying (hopefully) at the house at 2205 Egret Point Rd. I've been told it's in the far East part of the Plantation. The guy I spoke with at the rental company today said he was "pretty sure" the house was ok, but didn't know the condition of the pool.

I would really appreciate it if you could drive by the property sometime and give us an idea of the condition of the house and pool. Also - what about the shops and restaurants on the island? Are they open yet? If not, do you think they'll be open by this weekend?

Again, thanks so much to Shrimper for helping everyone to stay updated with the latest information about the condition of the island. It's really scary being scheduled to arrive somewhere for vacation and not knowing what you're going to find when you get there!!!

connecticut
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation on St. George Island

Thanks shrimper for your help. We talked the rental agent yesterday and they say everything is fine with the rental.

Thanks again for the info.

Take care

Canton, Ohio
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation on St. George Island

Shrimper, any idea how the condition of the villas and the surrounding areas are? Is the beach safe for small children? Is if worth a 16 hour drive?

Apalachicola
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation on St. George Island

beachluver: I believe that your house is Whippoorwill - we asked one of our maintenance personnel who was already in the Plantation working to swing by the house and report back about the swimming pool condition. While there, our person actually ran into the homeowner who apparently was staying at the property cleaning up - the report on the pool is that it is good to go and actually that everything looked nice.

There are still problems with the Cable service - from what I understand, Plantation houses still are without cable, but work is being completed as quickly as possible to reinstall cable lines - and they are expected to be up soon.

Many boardwalks have been repaired, but not 100%.

Best of luck to you enjoying your vacation.

Apalachicola
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation on St. George Island

To vacationreject: The Villas of St. George and 300 Ocean Mile Townhomes remain closed, BUT are both projected to be ready for occupany this Friday.

The Island business, as far as I can tell, are all open for business - husband and I had dinner w/ clients on Saturday night at the Blue Parrot and everything looked completely normal.

As for polution and/or other concerns. I've been visiting the FL Department of Environmental Protection web sit and I don't see any hazzard or warning postings about the current condition of the area. Both DEP and the county emergency planning agency have cleared the Island for pubic access and use. However, since we are not long past the storm, I would advise that you exercise caution with possible dangers/hazzards: such as boards, nails, down fencing, etc.,. And watch after children - to avoid their temptation to trespass onto another property that might not have been cleared for dangers (such as: down swimming pool protective fencing, etc.)

Thank you for choosing to visit St. George Island - I hope you enjoy your stay.

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation on St. George Island

Thank you, Shrimper!!!! That is great news about the house and the pool. I can breath a little easier now. I really appreciate the information and updates from you the last few days. It has been our only link with the island since Dennis.

Thank you and

see you in St. George Island!!!!!

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation on St. George Island

Hey Shirmper,hows the Buccaner for a place to stay?

Apalachicola
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation on St. George Island

Fripps: I believe this hotel was build in the 70's. To be honest, I haven't seen the rooms at the Buc in several years. But, It seems like I've "heard" that it has been renovated recently. The entire hotel is located directly beach front w/ better views from some rooms than others. There is a nice sized pool in the center that is protected for hotel guest's use - and a conference room available for special functions. The hotel is located near the public beach area and is a hit with young people and people who like to be within walking distance of dining and other activities. I suggest that you speak candidly with the reservations person - let them know clearly what your expectations are and ask if they are able to meet them. The local number is 850-927-2585, but I could not come up with a toll free number.

If your stay is for more than a couple of nights and you can visit non-peak, then it is possible to find a single family home and/or townhome within the same price as the hotel. OR, if being directly beachfront is not your main priority, then look into the St. George Inn - it too is in the center commercial area of the Island within a block and half walk to public beach. It has 17 guest rooms on three levels w/ beach and bay views and a large private swimming pool. All 17 rooms can be viewed at its web site www.stgeorgeinn.com and reservations can be booked at 800-824-0416. Although the Inn is a newer building, it appears more like a historic house converted into a B&B.

Thank you for your interst in St. George Island - I hope are able to visit and enjoy it enough to return.

Get answers to your questions about St. George Island