We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Damage from Dennis?

Cincinati
6 posts
Save Topic
Damage from Dennis?

Does anyone know the extent of the damage St George Island (specifically the Plantation area) sustained from Dennis?

Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Damage from Dennis?

I heard by way of mouth that the electricity to the island will be out for 3 weeks due to Dennis. I heard that a tornado touched down in the area. Unfortunately I've been unable to have that information confirmed.

Apalachicola
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Damage from Dennis?

The latest news is that the Island bridge will be opened to the public at 6:00AM on Friday 7/15/05. However, it is my understanding directly from Plantation Association mgmt that they are allowing rental companies and owners in their sole discretion to decide which houses are ready for occupancy - it is likely that there are several more to the West end of the Plantation that will not be ready by the weekend.

The East most section of the Plantation is not badly damaged, and could actually host guests now. From about mid Plantation to the far West end, there is significantly more wash over damage - but I haven't seen any completely destroyed houses. Mostly washed away boardwalks/steps and debris. It should be back to normal soon - hopefully before your planned visit.

Please note that I do work for a company on the Island. If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask - I should receive emails of new postings to this posting.

Good luck with your vacation plans.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Damage from Dennis?

Shrimper: How are things in your area? I noticed a lot of the smaller communities had serious flooding, but I haven't heard much since because everyone's focusing on the beaches. How about St. Mark's and Carabelle?

Apalachicola
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Damage from Dennis?

In reply to IslandKitty: Unfortunately there was much tidal storm damage to the mainland between Apalachicola and Alligator Point. There were actually waterfront properties washed away. The Hut Restaurant in Apalach, That Place on 98 and Sharron's place in Eastpoint -- mostly gone. Hwy 98 between Eastpoint and Carrabelle is washed out and likely to be out for months. The road at the KOA on Alligator Point is washed out - no news on its repair. BUT, the beaches areas of St. Joe Beach, Cape San Blas, and St. George Island are good to go - with the exception of a small percentage of houses.

I would be happy to answer any other specifics, if you wish. Thank you for your interest in my home area!

Cincinati
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Damage from Dennis?

Thanks for the update Shrimper! We're still waiting to hear from our rental co on our home (we had rented one on Egret Point Rd - the far West end of the Plantation for the week after next). We're hoping that b/c it's on the bay side it wasn't as badly damaged & that it can be cleaned up by then.

We had also heard (through our rental co) that there were septic system problems/ruptures on the island & that Franklin County Emergency services were working to clean it up. Any news on this situation (even if our home is rent-able - not sure I would want to go if this is still a potential problem).

How did the businesses/restaurants etc fare?

Apalachicola
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Damage from Dennis?

The West end of the Plantation does have a problem with the storm surge - it washed over from beach to bay side. There were bulldozers in the Plantation removing the sand - the "T" roads on the beach side were not passable unless you were in a four wheel drive. There have been crews in the Plantation all week correcting the problems.

The Department of Environmental Protection and the County Emergency Management Services have both cleared the Island for public use -- which they would not have done unless their concerns had been addressed.

Nevertheless, we are distributing an advisory notice to guests - itemizing specific possible hazards that they should be aware of. The truth is that althought most visitors are highly intellegent people - they sometimes leave their common sense at home (b/c they just want to relax and enjoy care free time with family). I hope this statement doesn't offend anyone!!!

As for the restaurants - I believe that every business on the Island is up and running - as are all but one in Apalach.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Damage from Dennis?

Shrimper: So sorry to hear all that. Your neck of the woods is among of my favorite parts of the state. Are people getting the help they need? Seems like the focus is all on the beaches.

p.s. You don't happen to have heard anything about Angelo's in Panacea? (Sorry, a very selfish question.)

Apalachicola
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Damage from Dennis?

Islandkitty: You are correct, the Island has rec'd the majority of coverage. I'm not sure about the condition of Angelo's - but I do recall gossip about it being damaged. I would not be surprised, it is so close to the water - levels must have at a minimum flooded the place. Shame, it is the one restaurant I've ever been to where the owner took husband and I into the back area to view where the actually clean the fresh catch brought in by their personal fleet.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Damage from Dennis?

Shrimper:

Just found a Palm Beach Post story about the area... Angelo's was pretty much swept away. It's been condemned, but the owners plan to rebuild. The damage to that area seems severe.

When my island was hit hard by Charley, the community formed a local relief organization to help fill the gaps between insurance, FEMA, etc., because we weren't getting the kind of attention that other areas were. Do you know if there's something similar starting in your region?

Apalachicola
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Damage from Dennis?

To Islandkitty: The governor was here earlier in the week. It has been reported that there are around 1,000 people out of work in those areas of oystering, seafood businesses, and hospitality workers. We have already had occupational advisory sponsored workshops to assist those who are temporarily unemployed due to Charlie. I hope that everyone of the unemployed are able to come out of this with their head above the water. Sadly, such events seem to effect most those who are likely not in a position to have been prepared financially for such an economic loss.

Get answers to your questions about St. George Island