We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach home

Amarillo, Texas
Level Contributor
145 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Beach home

Hello, I am looking for a rental home on the beach and haven't been to any of the beaches around St. Augustine. It will be for our large family (8 adults and 3 children) and we are thinking the week after Christmas. Is it warm enough then? And which is the best beach with homes either on the beach or within a 5 minute walk? We will spend alot of time in St Augustine as well but wanted the beach if it is worth it that time of the year. I will look at all the sites (VRBO, etc) but just was wondering if this is the way to go during Christmas and also which beach would be best. Thanks!

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
651 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach home

Warm enough for what? Walking and biking, yes. Swimming or playing in the ocean - no. When you start looking Vilano Beach is closest to old town but beach isn't too great for walking and biking - it slants and isn't very wide. But it has many large rental houses directly on the water. St A Beach and Crescent Beach are super wide, good for walking and biking and even driving (only if you have 4x4). It's still only 15 minutes driving to old town. There are more condos than houses to rent but it is possible to find one on or close to the beach.

Downtown old town is really nice and perhaps a bigger selection of restaurants but it's pretty crowded and expensive. More hotels or B& Bs than condos or houses.

If you do your research and narrow down to a few options ask more questions.

Oh! I forgot to add there are fireworks by the pier in St. Augustine Beach on New Years Eve - fun if staying on or near the beach.

Edited: 1:09 pm, August 01, 2016
Amarillo, Texas
Level Contributor
145 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach home

Ok thanks! Yes I wondering about getting in the water. Its fine if its not. And I had read that St. A beach was much wider. We will look for a home with heated pool or hottub as well but thanks so much for the info. We have been to St. Augustine and stayed in a B&B. Just not to the beach area as we didn't have our extended family with us. We would like to take them back.

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
651 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach home

The beach is great in winter - both the lighthouse and the alligator farm are good family attractions although there is a height limit for climbing the lighthouse. It does have a playground too and some interesting exhibits. There is a Wednessay farmers market with food trucks and art at the pier each week too.

Try to look at beach houses on Atlantic View or Atla Vista - there are some large rentals there. Or Ocean Gallery Condos are upscale with an indoor/outdoor heated pool on a great section of the beach. You might need two for the amount of adults in your party but that would ensure at least 4 showers too!

Great seafood on the island - South Beach Grill is my favorite. Seafood Kitchen and Saltwater Cowboys have their own styles - some love, some not. Salt Life Food Shack ditto.

Have fun planning your vacation.

Edited: 9:06 am, August 02, 2016
Amarillo, Texas
Level Contributor
145 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach home

Thank you!

5. Re: Beach home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 05, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Saint Augustine Beach