We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nrh's day by day trip report

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
nrh's day by day trip report

Hey All...

Well, we made it! Finally! Good grief that drive was a @#$#!! It doesn't seem like it was all that long ago that I could pack up after work on a Friday and drive all night to Ginnie Springs without even getting drowsy. Nowadays, put me in a minivan with my hubby and kids and FOUR dogs for 13 hours and it just about kills me!

It was so nice to show up at Win's beach cottage to find the rest of our family waiting for us with the lights on and a nice hot Thanksgiving dinner in the oven. The beach house is way nicer than the pictures on the website portray. It's usually not the case - wide angle lenses and such, but it really is better. It's beautifully decorated and they had lots of thoughtful details about - little bottles of shampoo (like in a hotel) and a spice rack and high quality knives in the kitchen (like at home). I'm very impressed and would recommend Win's company to anyone looking for a house to rent in the area.

We didn't do anything our first night other than eat and get to bed - we were wiped out from the drive. The dogs were super hyper this morning, so we got up and took them out on the beach to play in the water. It was pretty cool and VERY windy, so we didn't stay out too long. Now, we're hanging out (as you can tell from me being online) and eating leftovers and watching college football. It's nice to be able to just chill out and look at the ocean.

Steaks for dinner tonight and maybe a movie in town...

I'm sure we'll have recovered enough from our drive tomorrow to venture out farther into your fine city.

Keep posted for further news.

Over and out... NRH :)

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: nrh's day by day trip report

Hey Great! I am so glad you like my friend Win's cottage!

I thought you would when I recommended her for you. I have seen many of the cottages she rents; and they are simply gorgeous. Not cheap,mind you, but absolutely wonderful! She (and her employee/helpers/ and her son) is so nice too!) Glad you are happy there!

That wind gets to blowin' on the ocean in the winter and there are days I don't go out because of that cold wind. Warmer tomorrow, they say, in the low 70's; but caution once that sun goes down at night, it will feel bitter cold and damp again! Stay bundled at night!

Have fun in town!

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nrh's day by day trip report

Hey, there is a great art show (judged) near the parking garage today and Sunday. It has wonderful art and good food (usually).

I love it every year. Check it out. Be sure to take the Nights of Lights Trolley rides ($6.00 adults) and see all the businesses, etc. decorated gaily for the Nights of Lights. You will go up Cedar Street, where there will be 4 B & B's right in a row all decorated wonderfully for Christmas.

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nrh's day by day trip report

4:00 pm - Saturday.... We spent the morning at the beach with the dogs again. Thankfully, the wind has died down and the weather has warmed up!

This afternoon we went to the Alligator Farm. What a neat place. All the recommendations were correct. The only negative thing that I could say about it would be that there was a sort of funky sulfurish smell (mostly near the bathrooms). I'm not sure if it was gator poo or people poo or rotting eggs or what, but it didn't smell good. (Yes, Mahoney, I know this stuff goes in the review section! :) - I'll do my reviews when I get home!) We didn't stay to watch the gators get fed, but we did watch two other shows. They were interesting and informative.

After the Alligator Farm, we had a late lunch at the "world famous" Oasis. (Review later) The Gators and Seminoles were on the tube and it was full of some pretty loud and rowdy fans of both teams.

Now, we're back at the beach house and planning our evening. I think LN's Night of Lights Trolley idea sounds really fun. LN... if you're reading this, can you hook me up with a little more information about where to go to do that? Thanks...nrh

St Augustine
Level Contributor
136 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: nrh's day by day trip report

In case LN is not around. You can take your car down to the parking garage downtown or you may be able to get parking downtown on Cathedral or King Street. Plenty of places to grab drinks or dinner there. I do not think they allow pups on the trolleys(anyone know??) You can buy tickets along St. George, King or Cathedral. Downtown is really magnificient now with the tree lit and the entire city in lights!

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nrh's day by day trip report

Charlesfood... Awesome... Thanks for the clarification. We haven't been downtown yet, so we don't have the lay of the land. I'm sure things will make a lot more sense when we go down there tomorrow. We're looking forward to the art show. I'm hoping to find something fantastic to bring home. No worries about bringing the dogs on the trollies. The information might be handy for another reader, but we've been wearing our 4 leggeds out on the beach and leaving them crated at the beach house when we head out. Four dogs is three too many to try to haul around town!

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nrh's day by day trip report

Charlesfood... Awesome... Thanks for the clarification. We haven't been downtown yet, so we don't have the lay of the land. I'm sure things will make a lot more sense when we go down there tomorrow. We're looking forward to the art show. I'm hoping to find something fantastic to bring home. No worries about bringing the dogs on the trollies. The information might be handy for another reader, but we've been wearing our 4 leggeds out on the beach and leaving them crated at the beach house when we head out. Four dogs is three too many to try to haul around town!

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: nrh's day by day trip report

Sorry for the double post. The laptop is being sort of glitchy on the road. We're off to the art show. I'm hoping to find some cool stuff to bring home. Wave if you see us! :)

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: nrh's day by day trip report

We were worried about the rain this morning, but it cleared up nicely. We walked the dogs and headed into town.

After a desperate thirty plus minute long search for a parking spot, we had lunch at the Florida Cracker Cafe...(review later) then walked through the shops on St. George Street in search of the art show. The art show was great although I guess I have one tiny bone to pick. It's just a semantics issue, but I wish shows like this would call it a gate fee instead of a "donation". Anyhow, we didn't buy anything because the stuff we LOVED was either too fragile, too large or too expense for us to bring home. We did pick up a business card from the guy near the entrance that was selling the gorgeous ceramic outlet covers. I'm going to order some of those from him when I get home and figure out how many switches are on which wall plates in my master bathroom. It's strange how hard it is to remember that sort of stuff when you're away from home.

We've split up now - half of us are back at the beach house with the dogs watching football and resting our feet. Grandpa and the kids headed off to the movie theatre to watch the new James Blonde movie.

Does anyone know if it's okay to have bonfires on the beach? We've seen other people doing them, but I don't know if we need a permit or something. Roasted marshmallows might be nice tonight, but I don't want to end up in jail for them!

St Augustine
Level Contributor
136 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: nrh's day by day trip report

Open fires are not allowed on St. Johns county beaches. There is a hefty fine--do not remember what the details are--but it's hefty:(

Sorry you had such a hassle parking downtown. The Thanksgiving weekend is one of the biggest weekends of the year. If you venture out again on Monday or Tuesday you will have better luck parking! Looking forward to your dining reviews.

nrh
Magnolia, Texas
Level Contributor
422 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: nrh's day by day trip report

Hey Charlesfood... Thanks for the warning about the fires. I guess the people that we've seen around here with them (and fireworks) were bigger thrill seekers than me.

No apologies necessary about the parking situation! I know it wasn't your fault. :) Most of our troubles came from having 4 hard headed and blood sugary grown ups in the car that ALL thought they knew where the best place to go would be. You should have heard us! It was ugly. LOL!

We'd been planning on trying Marineland today, but the website says they are shut down until December 4th. I think we might hit the stables instead. Then a ghost tour tonight for sure. I'm still trying to figure out what tapped me on the top of me head in the sword store on St. George yesterday.... key creepy music here!