We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dirty ripoff

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Dirty ripoff

How many others have been riped off by this place?

St Augustine
Level Contributor
136 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Dirty ripoff

I am sorry but what you need to realize is that there IS a market for lousy fleabag motels. This one obviously HAS a market because as you say yourself, there were folks staying there who appeared to "live" there. There are markets for that type of hotel in every city. I do not want to stay there and neither do you. But, someone does--and as long as they comply with the minimal state mandates--which I think are soap and running water--they are allowed to operate.

What you need to realize is that there are safeguards for booking a hotel on line and you need to use those safeguards, such as looking for info before you book and calling the people you want to call NOW like the chamber of commerce, mayor's office, local BBB, local tourist boards, etc. for recommendations.

If you asked them "I am thinking of taking my family to Knights Inn"....

Any one of them would have gladly told you to keep looking for a place for your family. Or, if you had read the reviews here or on other sites, I am sure you would have seen the bad reviews and/or the discrepancies in pricing--that hotels elsewhere were more than double--which would lead a prudent person to think that perhaps this WAS a lousy fleabag hotel.

I think you have done all you can. I think you have done a great service by posting here--I am sure others will save themselves the trouble now that you have alerted them to the problem..

Thanks so much.

florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Dirty ripoff

Thank you for your answer. You are right, I will ALLWAYS look into hotels before booking. I guess im just that strong blooded American who hates to see hard working people out of there money and a large franchise letting them do it.

Just outside of...
Level Contributor
61 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Dirty ripoff

We stay at Clarion Casa Del Mar. It is wonderful, has a very full breakfast (omlets sausage bacon etc) and a wine/beer evening reception. This is all complementary. We found this place because of tripadvisor last year. We are coming back next week. Read all of their reviews. You will be impressed. You can also read me review in October of last year of them. Can't go wrong there.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Dirty ripoff

Occasionally I've made the mistake of going to St. Augustine without booking a room in advance, which I will never do again. I live about 3 hours away, and on one weekend, the ONLY motel in the whole city that had vacancy was this one. We thought the outside looked really seedy, kinda like a flophouse, but we asked the desk clerk if we could look at one of the rooms before we paid for it. Strangely, he agreed (it sounds like others did not have this experience), and we looked around...we just had a very unsafe feeling about the whole place. We declined taking the room and actually ended up driving all the way back to Ormond Beach that night and getting a motel there.

After having read the things people have said about Knights Inn, I'm SO glad we did not take that room. I remember having the general feeling when we were looking at the room that "if we stay here tonight, we might get our throats slit". I know it was probably an overreaction, however...

florida
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Dirty ripoff

Please leave a review. I think everyone needs to leave a review that has a story about this place. Knights Inn in St Augustine is the nastyest place in Fl.

26. Re: Dirty ripoff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 am, August 12, 2009