We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best first-time sights for seniors?

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
461 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Best first-time sights for seniors?

We've read about so many things to do! We're seniors and, while we certainly can walk, spending lots of time standing on mansion tours probably wouldn't be best for us. We'd welcome suggestions on activities that require not too much walking at one time, or are especially scenic, are lovely drives, etc. We love scenery more than mansions (unless there's one that's especially wonderful) and the fort, lighthouse, carriage rides, and some walking in old St. Augustine sound lovely. We'll be spending a day or two in the area on our huge drive through the south. Suggestions please?? Thank you!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best first-time sights for seniors?

St. Augustine is filled with unique attractions. Others will tell you to take the trolley tour and see the sights. That is certainly a good way to get acclimated to the town which is relatively small and easily navigated. If I had to list my three favorites they would be the Presbyterian Church, which is the only example of Venetian Renaissance architecture in the US Take the tour of the Flagler College building with it's Tiffany windows and Edison electricity. And the Lightener Museum has an amazing collection of collections . For a nice unusual beach visit check out Washington Oaks state Park (hopefully it's open) to see the coquina rocks which are rare these days. Many beaches up north have rocks, but not many of the Florida beaches have them and these are quite unique. I'd avoid any attraction that calls itself "Oldest" - most are just tourist traps.

Maryland
Level Contributor
461 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best first-time sights for seniors?

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,968 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best first-time sights for seniors?

Definitely what Auntie_C said. St. Augustine is one of the most unique cities in the US in that you can just go and find a place in the historic district and let everything come to you - just "hang out". Keep in mind some of the things you think you might want to do and decide after you get there. Take things slow and enjoy it.

If you go to Washington Oaks State Park you will pass some of the most beautiful beachscape in the world. I would suggest going on past the park on Route A1A another ten miles to Flagler Beach so as to pass directly by the ocean, one of the few places on the east coast where you can.

Maryland
Level Contributor
461 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best first-time sights for seniors?

Thank you!!

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,968 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best first-time sights for seniors?

From the way you describe what you like to do, would also recommend this place. Not many people know about it but it is gorgeous with beautiful scenery. You could tie it in with a trip to Washington Oaks or down to Flagler Beach.

www.flaglercounty.org/facilities.aspx…

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best first-time sights for seniors?

With Princess Place you'll be standing on the tour, and I didn't find it all that interesting honestly. I would take A1A south, and just after Washington Oaks the road veers inland. On your left you'll see Amvets Post 59. Just south of that on the right is Paul Baliker's gallery. He is a wood sculptor with the most amazing creations and most of them are outdoors. Definitely worth a stop. Further South when you hit Flagler beach, you may want to pull into Sally's Ice cream, 30 flavors and NOT a chain. Past Highway 100, is one of my favorite restaurants called Blue at Topaz. If it's sunny, they have a small 'bar' type seating area outside overlooking their pool and the Atlantic. Keep headed south, then take a right on High Bridge Road, this is a favorite for motorcyclists for its scenic beauty, when you hit old Dixie, you can turn left and keep driving to Ormond Beach, and back up A1A, or turn right and hit the interstate.

Maryland
Level Contributor
461 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best first-time sights for seniors?

Thanks so much!!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,755 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best first-time sights for seniors?

I am surprised no one has yet mentioned Fort Matanzas, just 2-3 miles south of SR 206 on A1A. http://www.nps.gov/foma/index.htm It is off the radar of most visitors to St. Augustine and, as such, is very uncrowded. There is a Spanish soldier who explains the history of the fort and the area. A nice little boat will take you there and back. There is no cost, but they do accept donations in a small jar just as you return back from the fort on the boat.

Maryland
Level Contributor
461 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best first-time sights for seniors?

Perfect! Scenic and historical with a boat ride thrown in! Thanks!!!

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best first-time sights for seniors?

I'm heading to SA next week and just hoping Fort Matanzas will be open by then. It was high on my list.