We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Holidays in St. Augustine

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
730 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
The Holidays in St. Augustine

We have decided to visit St. Augustine the weekend after Christmas. Is this a good time? Does this make staying in the historic area more desirable? Also, does it create a preference on whether to stay at a hotel or a B&B? What would be the most desirable part of the historic area to stay in?

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,693 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Holidays in St. Augustine

"Does this make staying in the historic area more desirable?"

Absolutely. Nights of Lights will be in full http://www.floridashistoriccoast.com/nights/ swing.

Where you stay (hotel vs. B&B) I think is up to you. I have no preference for any part of the historic district, except maybe near the Plaza.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,259 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Holidays in St. Augustine

The Christmas lights go up before Thanksgiving and stay up until the end of January. They lend a delightful atmosphere to the little city.

B&Bs would be nicely decorated during the holidays, and probably more so than the hotels.

The Historic District are is small and compact. Anywhere you might stay would be just fine.

My choice of B&Bs would be the St. Francis because it is in the south periphery of the Historic District and pretty much away from pedestrian traffic and thus in a more tranquil area.

Enjoy your visit!

Spirit

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,824 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Holidays in St. Augustine

In addition to the St. Francis, you can't going wrong with these either:

http://oldcityhouse.com/

http://www.casamonica.com/

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,693 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Holidays in St. Augustine

The Old City House has wonderful breakfasts (and dinners) plus free parking, but If you want a great deal on the Casa Monica Hotel (next door) take a look at this $139 special. http://tinyurl.com/px4rz59

Edited: 5:34 pm, September 15, 2013
Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
730 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Holidays in St. Augustine

The St. Francis Inn doesn't have rooms available (they start a 3 day minimum that Monday). A couple that i am looking at are the Alexander Homestead and the Penny Farthing Inn. I read here that the historic district is small and compact, but looking at the map here they look fairly far apart. Do either of these have a better location than the other?

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,824 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Holidays in St. Augustine

My choice based on location would be the Penny Farthing Inn. Understand that I would not rate either as "prime".

MA
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Holidays in St. Augustine

The holidays are a great time to visit. It is surprisingly busy because of Nights of Lights. For other info on things to do that week you could also visit http://localsguidesa.com/

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Holidays in St. Augustine

Hmmm, personally I like the Carriage Way Inn and the Saragossa Inn, since I can't recommend my own. Our House has an interesting touch, the owner plays the piano to gently let guests know that it's breakfast time!

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
340 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Holidays in St. Augustine

The old city is very compact and easily walkable. All of the inns listed above are within 10 minutes of each other if even that far. Look at the southern end of town for less touristy/more quaint areas. The more commercial operations tend to be to the north of the plaza. Undeniably the city will be beautiful with all the lights up, even if the weather turns bad. In fact the rain makes the photos of the lights even more fabulous. The B&B owners compete with each other on decorations. There are a couple of commercial hotels in the historic district if that is more your taste, but why come to the oldest city to stay in yet another Hilton? (sorry Hilton for the slam)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Holidays in St. Augustine

Is it unreasonable to think of getting Christmas week accommodations in the historic district for $150/night?

I've found plenty of beach condo rentals that look lovely for good prices however we are thinking we want to stay where everything is walkable.

If we cannot find anything in the historic district for $150 and we end up in a beach condo, how is parking in the historic district or close enough to walk to it?