We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Which Saint Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Hello St. Augustine forum!!

I'm torn! I'm planning a mother-daughter trip with my mom in September! Both my mom and I have never been to Seattle or Florida! I'm trying to plan a trip since she's getting older and you never know just how long you have left together! She lives in Arizona and I only get to see her about 1 time a year. She is thankfully healthy at this time. She's active and has no health problems that I know of. She's 72 ( but looks like she's 60) and I'm 43.

I have many questions but my main concern would be weather. I know that no one can predict tropical storms or hurricanes (i'd make sure everything is fully refundable).

Typically what would our chances be in the beginning of Sept? Thinking about the 10th through the 17th. Is the weather still warm enough to wear bikinis and flip-flops? Ocean water warm enough to swim in?

Any and all advice is appreciated!!!

Thank you :)

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,028 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Yes I much prefer Victoria to Jacksonville. I think Jacksonville is still struggling to find its identity. Geographically it is the largest city in the US, so it is spread all over the place. I think it is about 50 miles from the northern border to the southern border of the city. The beaches are wide, but it just lacks atmosphere or something.

I do not know how long it takes to go by ferry from Seattle to Vancouver Island. We generally take the ferry at Anacortes, which is about a 90 minute drive from Seattle. The ferry to Vancouver Island is two and one-half hours. I cannot remember if you need a passport. Years ago you only needed a birth certificate, but I know laws have changed. I generally travel with my passport and use it when we cross the border.

I think there is a fast ferry that operates out of Seattle that reduces your travel time by 50%, but I also think it is quite expensive.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
Level Contributor
14,520 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

"Hoping to get a beachfront room with a balcony. Any recommendations? "

Beachers Lodge may be what you want. http://beacherslodge.com/

It is a direct oceanfront property with balconies. Take a 3rd or 4th floor "king" unit for best ocean views.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
7,849 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

To visit Canada, you need a passport or passport card (credit card-sized, intended to make life simpler for people visiting nearby countries).

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,028 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

So that might be something the OP should consider when trying to make a decision between these two destinations.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
414 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Cap'n referred to Sept 13-15 as going to be a madhouse. What's going on?

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Garda, Lake Garda
Level Contributor
6,744 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Isn't September 13th-15th when Mumford & Sons are playing in St Augustine?

Edited: 4:51 pm, July 02, 2013
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
7,849 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Mumford & Sons are playing St. Augustine on Sept 13 and 14.

http://www.mumfordandsons.com/live/

staugustine.com/entertainment/….UdNDMBZpjtg

An odd location--a field west of the Castillo.

The St. Augustine Amphitheatre is having Steely Dan on Sept. 8.

http://www.staugamphitheatre.com

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Definitely would choose St. Augustine. I live in Portland, very similar to Seattle area. We went to Florida last year on vacation in October and loved it. We went to St. Augustine and thought we could do it in a day trip but had to come back the next day to see more. Very historic and interesting as well as beautiful. We will go back.

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

Avoid Saint Augustine the weekend of 9.13 in Saint Augustine!!! Mumford and Sons tour will be taking over the City for the weekend --25,000 ticket holders in a town of 15,000 residents. Everything will be strained to the limits-- Streets will be closed; the Castillo de San Marco will be closed. Residents are leaving town... You get the idea...

Any other time, it's wonderful!!

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Seattle or St. Augustine in Sept???

The Castillo will not be closed Nancy...where did you get that info? I know the ranger in charge of historic programs and he wants all us volunteers to show up. the Castillo only closes on Christmas Day.