We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
2,641 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Thanks to everyone for helping me make my short stay in St Augustine with my husband so perfect. We had a great time. We flew into Jacksonville, rented a car and drove over to Comfort Suites Downtown--great advice. It is new, clean, comfortable, with pool and free parking. I got a terrific price online by prepaying. We had a large King room with fridge, micro abd sofa area. The free breakfast was wonderful--included eggs, sausage, muffins, cereal, juices, hot beverages. Great start to the day. The location was easy walking distance to everything.

We decided not to do the trolley since we had limited time and wanted to walk around ourselves which is very easy to do.

Day 1---Castillo de San Maros--loved the history and the tour. If you have a National Park card--dont forget to bring it. I did and had to pay..o well it was worth it.

Lightner Museum--beautiful gardens and museum. Lifestyles of the rich and famous

Lunch at Cafe Alcazar--bottom of the former largest pool. Fun atmosphere. We had reservations so we got right in. It could get crowded so plan ahead.

Walked St Georges--sampled fudge Kilwins, wine tasting at a place I cant remember name...and shopped.

Around Happy hour we decided to make our own pub tour and stopped at Sangrias for a glass of white sangria. We got a table outside and had a birds eye view of St Georges and listened to live music. We then walked to Scarlett Oharas and had 2 drinks and an appetizer as we sat on the porch in the rocking chairs. We then headed over to Harrys for dinner in the courtyard--reminded me of Pat O'Briens in New Orleans, live music again as we dined alfresco. Then we walked over to Milltop, another drink and more live music.

Day 2---Fountain of Youth---drink the water, but hold your nose! LOL, I wasnt taking any chances....you never know!

Mission Nombre Dios--peaceful grounds with giant cross where the first mass in America was said. Lovely view of the waterfront.

Lunch at the Spanish Bakery--he Empanada, roll, drink and cookie special. Then had a frozen chocolate dipped banana for dessert from the chocolate store next door. Excellent!

Drove to Fort Matanzas for the boat ride to the fort. Its a free attraction with a lot of history and a chance to get on the water.

Then we headed over to Daytona for the next leg of our trip.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Augustine Beach
Saint Augustine Beach
St. Augustine, FL
The Lightner Museum
The Lightner Museum
2,364 Reviews
St. Augustine, FL
Cafe Alcazar
Cafe Alcazar
815 Reviews
St. Augustine, FL
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
United States
Level Contributor
6,812 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Sounds great, lollygal. I've been to St. Augustine many times to visit relatives, and have not done the things there that you did. It's a reminder that sometimes the tourist takes advantage of attractions that others forget about. Will be looking for the rest of your report. I remember your asking about Daytona and gulf beaches. Weren't you the one who was going to see the ocean sunrise and gulf sunset, in the same day?

Mentioned in this post
Saint Augustine Beach
Saint Augustine Beach
St. Augustine, FL
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
2,641 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Yes Doughnut..it was a great trip. I will continue posting my reports in Daytona and finish up in Sanibel. We loved St Augustine

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Saint Augustine Beach
Saint Augustine Beach
St. Augustine, FL
LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Thank you soooooo much lollygal! It isn't often one gives back like you do. I love reading about your trip and your personal report helps so many other travelers. Thanks again.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,721 posts
2,641 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Thanks--I posted my other trip reports on Daytona Beach and will post on Sanibel this week for the other legs. It was a great trip

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
5. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, April 23, 2014