We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel directly on beach

Savannah, Georgia
3 posts
Save Topic
Hotel directly on beach

Has anyone stayed at the St. Augustine Beach Front Hotel? I have read some bad reviews..I would like to know if it is really that bad before I book this hotel...Also I would like to stay right on the beach...any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
St. Augustine Beach
St. Augustine Beach
3,700 Reviews
Saint Augustine Beach, FL
St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel directly on beach

This is getting stupid. Did you read any of the 50 odd reviews on this place? If you did, you must be kidding!!!! Really that bad!!

Unreal that you even ask that. Out of 50-odd reviews three people gave it a #3 (out of five stars) and all the rest gave it a one or a two. Did you read any of the headings? Only two good headings even. Why would you even think of staying there?

This forum is meant to help; but guests who had the misfortune to stay at this dump wrote reviews of their stays! What part of them don't you get? If readers are refusing to believe reviews people write that are consistently BAD about a place, these review pages are useless! What good are they if you still have to ask if it "is really that bad". Get a clue!

P.S. (it is also NOT directly on the beach).

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel directly on beach

Scroll down the forum list and read "Other Reasonable Places?" written by "Travelers4St.Aug" a few days ago. Writers constantly ask

this question and by looking over past forums (anywhere) often your

questions have been answered by people already. There are some suggestions there for you. Have fun!

P.S. If you just want a beach, perhaps try Daytona Beach. It is really built up and much cheaper; but of course the city is kinda crummy.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
483 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel directly on beach

Hi Beachie,

Days Inn on St Augustine beach is great, modern, clean, comfortable, fairly new, good continental breakfast and across the street from the beach.

Reasonable rates, I have stayed here twice. Good places to eat to walk to and a bus shuttle or short drive to the old town. Not that many places right on the beach and their prices seemed a lot higher.

Hope this helps, it's a great place, well worth a visit.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Augustine Beach
Saint Augustine Beach
St. Augustine, FL
Savannah, Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel directly on beach

Mohoney

Yes this forum is meant to help people who are not familiar with using it and who may not be familiar with traveling or the area...That was my first time on this forum...you definitely need to be a little nicer to people asking questions and not RUDE! Obiviously if people keep asking the question over and over again it's for a reason...I wanted to have a conversation with someone who actually stayed there...not read a previously written review that could be from the competition...I dont know who actually writes these reviews...So before you give a RUDE or DEMEANING reply why dont you think about that!!!!

Not everybody has nothing better to do than be on a forum everyday!!!

P.S (GET A LIFE!!!!)

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel directly on beach

The reviews ARE from guests who stayed there. When you visit you will see all the run down hotels here and understand better that "the competition" doesn't need to compete with places like the St. Augustine Beach Front Hotel. The place will speak for itself. Tripadvisor checks out the reviews when people write them - you will see that for yourself as I am sure after your visit here, you too will write a review (good or bad) about where you stayed. Tripadvisor checks out the e-mail address and where it comes from (to make sure it comes from a person - they just don't print all that personal stuff in the review to keep people anonymous. We have to trust what guests say about hotels, restaurants. If all the reviews are good, with only a few bad ones, it is safe to say that would be a good place to stay. But if most of the reviews are bad, you don't want to stay there, believe me.

Mentioned in this post
St. Augustine Beach
St. Augustine Beach
3,700 Reviews
Saint Augustine Beach, FL
Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,842 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel directly on beach

JustBeachie, after reading the post from Mahoney, I agree with you , he was very rude to you. I am new to these forums as well and this is what turns people away from posting questions and even reviews because they are afraid they will get ridiculed by some "no it all". You are also right, we who have full time jobs just dont always have the time to go back through all the pages of forums to see if our questions have already been answered. I believe this Mahoney owes you an apology and should step up to the plate and if he is so aggrevated by our stupidity, he should not participate in forums.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
215 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel directly on beach

If "Justbeachie" has enought time on her hands to type in 2 identical tongue-lashings to Mahoney, than I am sure she has enough time to skim thru the pages of this forum in order to find the answer to her questions. She doesn't seem to want to believe the MANY negative reviews of the hotel she's considering. All any of us can do is answer to the best of our ability based on our experiences there.

By the way, you might not have seen her identical posting because I asked trip advisor to remove it due to the nature of the topic. Apparently, they agreed with me because in less than an hour, it was deleted by tripadvisor.

If you're going to discredit all of the reviews we write, then why would you believe anything that we have to say? WE are the ones who have been to these places and took the time out to tell of our experiences.

If it weren't for the regular posters here in this forum, no one's questions would get answered. No one here is getting paid to answer these same questions over and over again.

And YES, some of us get a little testy about repeating the same information. It just gets frustrating when all the information you need is right here...you just don't want to take the time to find it out yourself.

And what retired folks do in their spare time is none of your business! By the way RustyKat... the correct spelling is:

"know it all"

Truly yours,

another know it all

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,842 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel directly on beach

Now see, that is just mean, to correct someones spelling on such a casual forum is just wrong. I can assure you I know how to spell know it all, I just didnt realize I was under such scrutiny. Where's the love? You just took the fun out of posting, thanks!

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel directly on beach

All I think anyone is saying is that if new and old readers have questions on a hotel, they should first look up that

hotel, B & B, etc. on Tripadvisor and read what other guests, etc. have said.

To believe that "the competition" wrote even half of the negative reviews is ridiculous as Tripadvisor check's the e-mail addresses to make sure they are really from people.

If one doesn't want to believe the reviews, then go ahead and book a room there. I would prefer to pick another place to stay if most of the reviews were bad. One or two bad reviews do not a bad place make; but we have to TRUST that mainly negative reviews mean...........Book at your own risk...........and don't complain later because you were fore-warned. We have to trust the guests that wrote reviews.........positive or negative.

Mahoney grows on one; and is mainly fair; and we locals have grown to like him, whoever he is. . And Nickie is right, there are regulars who live here or know the town because they used to live here and they take the time to continually to answer and try to help.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
215 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel directly on beach

Since we're discussing mean things here, RustyKat...think about it --

You're actually complaining because while YOU were calling someone on this forum a "know it all", I corrected your spellling.

Did you want me to apologize for taking the FUN out of calling Mahoney a "know it all"? Is that the love you're talking about?

All anyone here is asking is that you take a little time to find out about your hotel or restaurant before asking us to do it for you.

The End