We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photography places....

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coto de Caza...
Level Contributor
262 posts
Save Topic
Photography places....

I will be in St Augustine for 3.5 weeks and wonder where are great photography spots? Thanks. Love nature and history

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photography places....

The fort...the alligator farm...Anastasia State Park...Matanzas State Forest...back alleys/roads of the historic area...that's a good start. Obviously, this is 1/10000th of what you're looking for.

In Jacksonville (since you're here for so long), try Springfield Historic District, Riverside/Avondale, the St. John's River, Fort Caroline, the Jacksonville Zoo (Great), Atlantic Beach

Try Amelia Island and Fernandina Beach too

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,728 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photography places....

The Castillo de San-Marcos was wicked cool. http://www.nps.gov/casa/index.htm I bet you could get some cool shots there...

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Photography places....

St. George Street and the old style buildings give it a wonderful feel. Also go over by St. Francis Bed and Breakfast - on St. Francis Street -- that area of Old Towne is very very old and lots of great angles to shoot, interesting old gates, etc..

I think the Castillo is the one of the best places to take pictures - I love the fort - it is my favorite and has been standing since the 1600's. It overlooks the bay and there are amazing shots there.

The 200 foot cross on the grounds of the Nombre de Dios Shrine stands bright and wonderfully against the backdrop of the salt marsh. It is where the first Mass was said in America!! There is also a little old church (not the original one, however, as the town was burned many times with wars, but the one there now is ivy covered and just magical. They say if you need a miracle, also, this is the place to come - our Lady appears there on this sacred ground. There is a wonderful feeling there also.

For sunset, try Saltwater Cowboys - the sunset over the marsh is wonderful (wear your bug screen).

You will see there are many many sights here that are unbelievable. You should plan on staying quite a few days as you will be surprised, I am sure by all we have here!

Enjoy! You will love the Old City! ANd perhaps you could share some of your pics on here after your trip!

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,878 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photography places....

Add to your list:

Fort Matanzas http://www.nps.gov/foma/index.htm

Cafe Alcazar & the interior of the Lightner Museum

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Photography places....

Lots of State Parks in the Area, Guana River, Faver Dykes, Washington Oaks (this one is especially good for flowers and beach coquina formations), Tomoka, Palatka's Ravine Gardens to name but a few!

Pinellas Park...
Level Contributor
44 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photography places....

Searching TripAdvisor to plan our next visit to St Augustine, I found a company called Shutterguide Tours. I have NOT done business with them, but based on the reviews and their website, I'm intrigued. It looks like they are a relatively new company that employs photographers who are also licensed tour guides. They take you to great photo spots throughout the old city and help you get to know your own camera better. It might be a nice way to see the city and take great pics, even if you're a camera expert. Like I said - I haven't used them so I can't make any recommendations, but we are considering booking a tour with them for our next visit.

I CAN recommend Gold Tours - Peter, the owner, drives you through the city on a small electric vehicle and can take you places the big trolleys simply can't fit. He gladly stops so you can get off and take photos and tries to personalize the tour to your interests. We loved our tour with Peter and are taking my parents back for a tour with him. Hope this helps!

Coto de Caza...
Level Contributor
262 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Photography places....

Great, thanks for all the suggestions. I had read about taking photos of the sunset at Saltwater Cowboys :)

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Photography places....

Hi T,

Washington Oaks Gardens State Park is maybe 15 miles south of Saint Augustine.

www.floridastateparks.org/washingtonoaks/

You'll find great spots for photography all around you!

Spirit

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Photography places....

The Alligator Farm in the spring has hundreds of nesting birds and people come from all over to get great up close pictures of all kinds of birds.

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Photography places....

Shutterguide left some brochures at my inn,but I don't have any experience with them. April20-21 is t he Flower and Garden Expo at the Agricultural Center...www.epicbh.org