We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unique spots to visit

Cincinnati, Ohio
3 posts
Save Topic
Unique spots to visit

I am leading a photography group in the spring to St. Augustine. I am looking for unusual one of a kind photo opportunities. I had been told about the airplane cemetery but it is no longer there :((

Our plans already include the rookery at the Alligator Park, the lighthouse, boat trip, the Fort.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....thanks...Yvonne

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unique spots to visit

If you can affort the cost, hire a helicopter to take you over the whole city. I have a friend who recently did that and he got some awesome photographs.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,087 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unique spots to visit

Visit somewhere on the intracoastal waterway in the Vilano Beach area. Lots of live oaks draped with Spanish Moss. We like to grab lunch at the casual Cap's restaurant there. Such a beautiful town. Be sure to walk about in the Historic area early in the morning. Few others about and a great time to enjoy some of the unique buildings.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,924 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unique spots to visit

The Guana area on the ocean north of St. Augustine and Vilano Beach has a nature center and walkable areas (depending on the status of hunting season). This site has links to other natural areas. I've been to Faver-Dykes State Park fairly recently. It's 15 miles south of town and quiet.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/coastal/sites/gtm/

Fort Mose State Park is small but beautiful if you arrive early, while birds are in the marsh, everything from ducks to egrets. Anastasia State Park, across from the Alligator Farm, has a bit of coastal hammock (live oak forest). Surf Station, also across from the Farm, has an interesting history (it started as a gas station, morphed into surf shop), and is now a major surfboard dealer with a lively web site, daily photos.

South of town, Ft. Matanzas takes a while due to the ferry trip. Washington Oaks Garden State Park has nice live oaks and an unusual beach with coquina rock outcrops.

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unique spots to visit

I love Mission of Nombre de Dios. Check it out!! Beautiful, peaceful place.

Also leave time to wander the streets- especially those S of the Plaza de la Constitution (behind Casa Monica/Aviles Street). Lots of cool doorways, gates, walls, etc. back there.

5. Re: Unique spots to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 29, 2013