We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 10/8-10/12-Mom & adult daughters trip

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 10/8-10/12-Mom & adult daughters trip

Thank you TA for all of your reviews! I've posted individual reviews on each place that we visited. We had a perfect trip (with the exception of Ghost & the Gravestones blowing us off-which ended up being a blessing in disguise!). We stayed at ST FRANCIS INN & it was perfect in every way! Great people, food, location, atmosphere, history & our cottage 2 bedroom/2 bath was spotless! A1A-We ate outside on the 2nd floor balcony. Food was great. View at dusk was very pretty! GOLD TOURS-with Peter in a 6 person electric golf cart was the best! We loved Peter & he was a perfect mix of an historian & host. I recommend taking his tour during your first morning in St Augustine like we did. CAFE ALCAZAR was beautiful & the food was delicious! This place is special because it is located in the deep end of a former fancy hotel hotel. You won't find any better indoor location to dine than here. Our lunch was delicious & the service was great! I wanted to take my mom to hear some country music & I chose MARK HART at TRADEWINDS LOUNGE. He was very talented, fun & sang a wide variety of music. Country music/Jimmy Buffet fans should check out his show. If you are a nonsmoker, like us, sit in front of the doorway which remains open because Tradewinds allows smoking since they do not serve food (except popcorn). We stopped at HARRY'S because we were walking by & heard this man singing who was incredibly gifted. His name was RON PERRY. We had wonderful service again & the atmosphere was magical with trees covered with white lights providing a canopy over the tables. We had the best Buffalo Wings ever here too! We went to WILD RESERVE & really enjoyed being so close to some animals that have been rescued. I totally recommend this tour to animal lovers! Of course, we went to FLAGLER COLLEGE (tour) & CASTILLO DE SAN MARCOS (go on the weekend to hear the cannons fire) & it was awe inspiring!! We walked St George St & had so much fun seeing the shops & hearing all kinds of live entertainment from the different restaurants. We enjoyed the treehouse atmosphere on the 2nd floor of MILLHOUSE TAVERN which also overlooked the fort. We ate at MANGO MANGOS & had the most incredible famous corn cakes! We stopped for dessert at: CLAUDE'S for chocolates, KILWINS for fudge & DENOELS for euclair & all of the desserts were absolutely perfect! We were originally scared to climb the lighthouse because our group of 3 all have some physical disabilities (some temporary, some permanent)...but we had free passes from our inn, so we decided to go. There were about 4 or 5 rest stops at the ST AUGUSTINE LIGHTHOUSE & we rested for about 30 seconds at each of those & we were rewarded with the most amazing view!! Bonus: someone just proposed marriage just as we arrived to the top!! Our final night was with this newer company called 2GHOULS & we had this "tour" called THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. It is perfect for women, couples or anyone who has a sense of spirituality! This tour only takes place in 2 rooms in the beautiful Alexander Homestead B & B, so it is great after a long day of walking. We visited during the week & thought there wouldn't be any availability, but Tina & Brandy accomodated our group of 3. This is an experience where you learn about the unique history of St Augustine & you learn about yourself also. Bonus: you are given tea, wine & at the end there is a surprise. It is the best $20 I ever spent. It was so enriching & these 2 ladies are absolutely wonderful. The only thing that wasn't perfect on our trip was the lack of professionalism shown by Ghosts & Gravestones when we booked a impromptu tour with them. Although they blew us & were very unapologetic & rude, we ultimately realized that it was a good thing that we didn't waste our time & money with them after coming home and reading their reviews on TA. After falling in love with Charleston, SC, I didn't know if I could fall in love with another place...but I did!! St Augustine even has a bit of Key West flair to it. Lovely place & lovely people!! I'm ready to do repeat trips to both Charleston, SC & St Augustine, FL!!

St. Augustine, FL
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
682 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 10/8-10/12-Mom & adult daughters trip

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing your experiences and, especially, for reviewing each place you visited. :o)

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 10/8-10/12-Mom & adult daughters trip

Thanks ! It is always lovely when travelers give back to help others !

I agree with all your reviews except Harry's............always been hit or miss for me.

Glad you enjoyed St. Augustine and have given it such a big thumbs up ! Come back soon.

chicago burbs
Level Contributor
185 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 10/8-10/12-Mom & adult daughters trip

Thanks again!. Harry's was not on "my list", but I'm so glad we stopped in watch the rest of Ron Perry's show! It was the best acoustic performance that I have ever seen! Also, our server, Scotty, showed us the southern charm that we enjoyed so much in Charleston, SC! Occasionally those impromptu stops are just meant to be!

4. Re: Trip Report 10/8-10/12-Mom & adult daughters trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, December 15, 2013