We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Augustine ,is it for us ?

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
swansea
Level Contributor
441 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
St Augustine ,is it for us ?

Hi everyone,looking for a new destination for our 2 week vacation in early/mid Sep,have stayed in various Florida locations over the last 15yrs,coming from the UK ,Orlando was our 1st ,but since then ,Key West,Sanibel,Islamorada,Venice,Ft Lauderdale,Siesta Key,and Longboat Key ,where by the way we got married !.

We are in our mid [ish] 50s ,we like quiet ,[ish] beaches,being able to walk ,not a fan of high rises buildings,like quint ,quirky one of a kind shops and restaurants and if possible being able to walk to them,rather than always having to drive everywhere.

Based on the information above ,is St Augustine the place for us ?

If you think it is ,again ,based on the above is there a particular area that we should look to rent a house or condo in,your help ,as always would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Fishman,Swansea,UK,

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,755 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Augustine ,is it for us ?

"is St Augustine the place for us ?"

If you like history, art galleries, good & reasonable restaurants, nice beaches, shopping and a very walkable historic district, then the answer would be yes.

Assuming you will have a car, I'd recommend staying in Crescent Beach. You can see where it is here: beacherslodge.com/images/content/mapofstaugu…

One place to find condo rentals is Coastal Realty http://www.coastalrealtyfl.com/

Here are a A few links:

http://www.staugustine.com/visit/

http://www.visitflorida.com/St_Augustine

http://www.getaway4florida.com/

swansea
Level Contributor
441 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Augustine ,is it for us ?

Many thanks Orlando_Vic,the info provided and the the links were really helpfull .We are now starting to get more of a feel for the location,one thing i forgot to ask in my original post is about weather ,apart from a couple of nights in Fort Lauderdale ,we have never really stayed on the Atlantic coast,as stated before ,coming from the UK ,and living in what is officially the wettest city in the whole of Britain,we NEED sun,we NEED warmth,high humidity,bring it on...what i am asking i guess is would we be right in comparing the temps in St Augustine with for example Orlando?water temps ?etc we are aware of the normal afternoon thunder storms ,it is the HEAT that we are after .

Thanks

Fishman UK

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
235 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Augustine ,is it for us ?

Early to mid September can still be rather warm so you should get plenty of sun. If you're not needing to be right on the beach, consider staying in the historic district where everything is walking distance. It's got all the things you asked for and a trip to the beach is just a 5 minute car ride.

I prefer staying in town and just going out to the beach. Personal favorite of mine is the http://www.casamonica.com/ but there are less expensive options too.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,239 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Augustine ,is it for us ?

Unless there's "tropical weather" (tropical depression, tropical storm, or hurricane) in the area, September is part of the rainy season, but all-day cloud or rain is rare.

While a strong tropical storm, nearly a hurricane, went ashore north of St. Augustine in late May, that's a very rare occurrence. The northeast Florida coast hasn't seen a hurricane since a new British music act, the Beatles, was scheduled to play in the Jacksonville football stadium. The concert was performed as scheduled the day after the storm.

staugustine.com/news/….T94IQSJdWyQ

What you might see is surf from a storm well offshore.

Short version: In September, St. Augustine will be as hot as central and southern Florida, no more rainy, and considerably less prone to that "tropical weather."

The county government seems to prohibit tall buildings, based on the lack of them in or near St. Augustine (the tallest building in the county seems to be a golf resort on Interstate 95).

Edited: 12:45 pm, June 17, 2012
swansea
Level Contributor
441 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Augustine ,is it for us ?

Thanks for your replies ,99% sure we are going to give St Augustine a shot,now to trawl through all those vacation rentals ,always looking for the "perfect" one ,which again as always ,is above our budget !!

Any further input would still be most welcome .

Regards

Fishman

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Augustine ,is it for us ?

I too vote to stay in the Old City. Not another city like it in Florida; Old City is full of fine restaurants, interesting shops, art galleries, bars. And then you can enjoy the different beaches on your day adventures. The Old City is way kuhl.

swansea
Level Contributor
441 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St Augustine ,is it for us ?

Thanks LN that was our dilemma ,where to stay ,in the Old City or on/by the beach.

We do plan to spend a reasonable length of time on the beach ,how far ,time wise is the best quiet beach from the Old City ?.

We will have a rental car,so would be happy to drive a little further if the beach was a little more deserted ,one last [?] thing ,cant decide to spend the whole 14 day vacation in St Augustine,or maybe split it between Siesta key or maybe Sanibel,both of which we have stayed at previously,Any thoughts ?

Regards

Fishman

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,239 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Augustine ,is it for us ?

The beaches at St. Augustine are profoundly different from those on the Gulf coast, with around a 5 foot tidal range and fine sand (very little shell) making for a wide beach, perfect for barefoot running or long strolls.

Driving on the beach is allowed in most of the county, the main exception being Anastasia State Park.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Augustine ,is it for us ?

Beaches are about 6 miles and beyond from the old city. I just so love walking to all......and the ambiance is amazing in this old Spanish city. It is very captivating.

Yeah, could spllt your stay with a week in each..

Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
2 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Augustine ,is it for us ?

Be careful of one horse n carriage rider who uses whip to beat cars next to his buggy. Other than that, everything is very nice. Boat tours, restaurants, shopping and trolley tours are very nice.