We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandy or Shell-y Beaches Reply: YES, I found a shelly beach

FL
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sandy or Shell-y Beaches Reply: YES, I found a shelly beach

Hi.

I know the topic of St. Augustine beaches has been closed long ago but I wanted to place a note on it. Most of the people said Niki's boss was mistaken and that he must have been at another place. I went to a beach yesterday in St. Augustine where the shells felt like shards on our skin. My children are scraped and cut up all over their backs and especially their legs. It is located off of Costal Highway/1A and Surfside Ave.

To get to this beach I headed North on San Marco Ave and when I saw the park with the Carosel I curved to the Right onto May St. which also has the long Bridge: It's called Vilano Causway/Francis and Mary Usina Bridge (Also called 1A) over to the beach areas. I made a left at the light (there is a Publix on your right there) onto 1A and it wasn't even a mile down on the right. Surfside Park.

I'm letting you know the directions so you can pass it by. If you are a surfer, you may get some good waves in. But if you have children you are probably better off going somewhere your children can build castles, swim and enjoy themselves without getting scraped, scratched, and cut by shards of broken shells.

Hope this helps someone. I wish I would have seen this earlier.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandy or Shell-y Beaches Reply: YES, I found a shelly beach

YEP, Vilano Beach is very shelly! But I love if because there are not many tourists-quieter beach.

Thanks, tripster08 for starting a new thread instead of bringing up an old one and adding on to it !! Come back soon !

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandy or Shell-y Beaches Reply: YES, I found a shelly beach

Ah, yes, it's also good for finding fossilized shark's teeth, hence the scratches....

3. Re: Sandy or Shell-y Beaches Reply: YES, I found a shelly beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, June 19, 2013