We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

st augustine vs savannah georgia

Which St. Augustine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
HSV, AL
Level Contributor
184 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
st augustine vs savannah georgia

hello. i need to know if st aug is anything like savannah georgia where we have been several times and really enjoy it. so anybody who has been to both, please give me some insight so i can decide if its worth the trip. if they are similiar or very difft or one is way better than the other...thanks.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: st augustine vs savannah georgia

I love them both. St. Augustine is "like" Savannah, but on a much smaller scale. The Old City has much charm and ambiance but the entire historic district is actually very walkable due to the smaller scale. I think if you love Savannah, you will love St. Augustine too. I would say give St. Augustine a try! Hope this helps !

Clearwater, Florida
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: st augustine vs savannah georgia

I agree. I think if you enjoy one, you would probably enjoy the other. Very alike in the walkable area, lots of history, sights to see, etc. St. Augustine is just smaller, and will not take the same length of time to see everything as it does in Savannah.

HSV, AL
Level Contributor
184 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: st augustine vs savannah georgia

ok thanks!

Edited: 1:09 pm, April 02, 2012
Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: st augustine vs savannah georgia

Hello Nicoletteta,

I find that Saint Augustine has more to see and do than Savannah

Saint Augustine is compact, whereas Savannah is much more spread out.

They are both quality places to visit. And they are different. People who like one generally like the other.

Having been to one does not obviate you from seeing the other.

Spirit

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: st augustine vs savannah georgia

Not only smaller but older with markedly different architecture.

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: st augustine vs savannah georgia

Another reason to choose St. Augustine: Forbes just named St. Augustine as one of the top 10 Prettiest

towns in America:

forbes.com/pictures/…gallerycontent

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
114 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: st augustine vs savannah georgia

Agreed, Spirit. I prefer St. Augustine to Savannah.

While Savannah has more in the way of historic homes that are well maintained & manicured lawns, etc, St. Augustine offers more "attractions" that are varied than Savannah.

For example, the Castillo is completely different from Oldest Jail & Store complex which are very different from the Oldest Home which is different from Flagler's architecture (etc).

They are similar in that you should start on the trolley if you're unfamiliar with the area and explore from there the following days, great local restaurants (there's a great list on this forum!) and the water/nature to offer a relaxing, cleansing breath when you're ready to sit & stare at the ocean.

I {heart} St. Augustine!

Leven , Beverley...
Level Contributor
5 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: st augustine vs savannah georgia

Sorry to disagree ! We have just returned from holiday after visting both (also Charleston). Savannah is far superior . More history, more to see, fantastic squares , houses etc,etc.. By contrast we found St Augustine very "twee". Too much shopping versus real history. Reminded both my wife and I of a Disney set !

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: st augustine vs savannah georgia

Uhhhhhh That's harsh....Superior? As far as "real"history, St. Augustine is the oldest city in the U.S.

Well, isn't it wonderful that everyone has a different opinion in life.............It would be too too boring if we were all the same !

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: st augustine vs savannah georgia

Easy there LN, perhaps FCman never got off St. George street....