We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING: Beware the St. Augustine B&B Blacklist

Farmington Hills...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
WARNING: Beware the St. Augustine B&B Blacklist

I stayed at the Casa de Solana B&B in January. While there, I asked if we could transfer to a bigger room. They were booked up, but said they might be able to accommodate me on their boat. I thanked the management for the suggestion, but stayed with our original room. I couldn't move to another B&B because Casa de Solana policy is not to refund any money if one cancels less than seven days out.

Upon checking out I mentioned that the air conditioner unit outside the room was unusually loud and kept us up the previous night (it was ok on the previous night), but I didn't ask for any money back and I certainly wasn't rude or demanding. For complete details please see my review of Casa de Solana in late Jan./early Feb.; it is entitled "Disappointing".

Yesterday I made reservations at "At Journeys End", but I received an email from the inkeepers this morning saying they were cancelling my reservation. I called to ask why and was told that St. Augustine is a small place and word gets around if a guest is high maintenance. I was shocked because I'm absolutely not high maintenance. I spoke only once with the manager at Casa de Solana and even then I merely asked if they had a bigger room for us to transfer to.

I think I've only had one less-than-very-good experience with an inn and written only one bad review. By contrast, I've written several glowing reviews of inns and B&Bs on Tripadvisor.

The sum total of my objectionable conduct (to the B&B people)was politely asking for a larger room, mentioning the loud air conditioning unit outside the room upon checkout, and writing a negative, but balanced and objective review on Tripadvisor (they may not have been aware of the review).

It appears that at least some of the innkeepers in St. Augustine keep a blacklist of any travellers who make the least complaint. Take this as a warning. If you plan on going to St. Augustine and you have any problem whatsoever, it might be inadvisable to raise it, at least if you ever plan on returning to any B&B in St. Augustine.

I'm going back next month and staying at the lovely Hilton downtown. Hmmm, I hope these B&B people don't try to expand their Blacklist to hotels. I should point out that most B&B owners in St. Augustine probably don't do this sort of thing.

St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WARNING: Beware the St. Augustine B&B Blacklist

I don't know, Larry. Have you ever heard the saying, Methinks thee protests too much?

You sound pretty high maintenance to me.....so much to say....my goodness....one

would ask "What are you really angry with?"

Anyway, I have always said there are B & B people and hotel people. You probably are the hotel type..........perhaps even Motel 6 next time?

If the shoe fits, WEAR IT !!!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
593 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: WARNING: Beware the St. Augustine B&B Blacklist

Me thinks mahony might have a vested interest in the B&B industry of St. Augustine beacuse I think Larry's requests were fair and reasonable. So maybe the proverbial "if the shoe fits, wear it" might be a bit more appropriate for you.

thanks for your time...

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WARNING: Beware the St. Augustine B&B Blacklist

I agree I don't think Larry is "high maintenance" at all, his requests are perfectly reasonable.

After all he is paying for his room, he is not getting it as a present.

St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WARNING: Beware the St. Augustine B&B Blacklist

So, we totally believe what Larry had to say, huh? Not everyone complaining is always telling the truth on forums, nor the whole story, sorry guys to burst your bubble.

There are always TWO sides to every story.

Larry sounds like a whiner to me.

P.S. Larry, you were so good to point out your review of Casa de Solana; would you be so kind to point out your "several GLOWING reviews of inns and B&Bs on Tripadvisor" for us?

Vested inerest in B & B's? no, too much

work for me........I like my freedom-no need to work........just always into looking at the other side of things...........Keeping it real.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WARNING: Beware the St. Augustine B&B Blacklist

Larry gave a nice review for Bayfront Marin House in St Augustine on tripadvisor in early February.

Liverpool, England
Destination Expert
for St. Pete Beach
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WARNING: Beware the St. Augustine B&B Blacklist

.....And quite a few of Mahony's previous posts say how wonderful B & Bs are......hmmmm....

Washington, DC
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: WARNING: Beware the St. Augustine B&B Blacklist

Larry, thanks for the warning. Your comments sound perfectly reasonable to me.

Methinks Mahoney protests too much.

St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WARNING: Beware the St. Augustine B&B Blacklist

Oh, I get it....Spirit is a friend of yours, Larry, and even knows your reviews.

I am still waiting for Larry (where are you Larry?) to let us know where "several glowing reviews of inns and B&Bs on Tripadvisor" are that he wrote.

AND YES, certainly this is a B & B town, I

will say it over and over again many times.

I LIVE HERE and prior to moving here I stayed

at each one of the top three B & B's listed on this site .

Some towns many have lovely hotels, but as I have said before, unless you are paying high end, i.e. Casa Monica or HIlton, I wouldn't stay in any of the hotels/motels in the historic district. OR the Cozy Inn, which is a cross between motel and B & B-very clean, cheap and nice too. Lovely owner and innkeeper.

Otherwise, hotels are just too old, run down and moldy. Not the hotels fault, just soooooooo many people visit here and management can just do so much to keep it nice and new looking. Now the beach hotels, are different. The highest rated one on Vilano on this site, I would stay there over and over, in season. But it is tooooo cold for the beach for us locals right now (it is still winter..........brrr quite cold today

and windy). But in the Summer, that hotel would be great.

I have traveled all over the world, and B & B's are for me. I am spoiled, however, and have said it before. It turns out to be much cheaper at a B & B if you pick a less expensive room; get breakfast included, so lunch is not necessary; they always have afternoon snacks of some kind, cheese, cookies, etc., so you can hold off til dinner time. Which saves you mega bucks in this town. Also, ususally wine, beer, etc.

FREE included in the price and FREE parking.

I like good sheets and ambience. But again, there are B & B people and Hotel people.

Hilton looks nice - the plastic furniture looks like wood wonderful waterfront views- but I wouldn't like the hefty parking fee of $18.00 a day added to the already pricey room fee. Also, I like personalized treatment where they know my name - where I am not just a room number.

See, I am spoiled!!!!! Bad, bad Mahoney!!!!

P.S. I give advice on parking, restaurants, even transportation here, that doesn't mean I am vested in the taxi company (not a bad idea, however) or own a restaurant. I am a local retiree and live here for the excitement of Tripadsvisor......... just kidding. But I do know the town and like to help.

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WARNING: Beware the St. Augustine B&B Blacklist

I think that Mahoney works for Historic Inns or something like that, Chamber of Commerce maybe. Knows all the Band B owners, though recommending only a few. If I'm incorrect Mahoney, please stop in and correct me. You know where I live, I'll even take you out for a beer.

I consider 'high maintenance' guests more of a challenge. When a guest complains of something (A/C not working, bed not comfortable...I try to resolve it while they are out....new A/C, new Mattress (<- the latter was a bit problematic as I found a ...ummmm....battery powered appliance under the pillow!))

I don't think Larry's concerns fall into the high maintenance category...they simply give the B and B owner insight into areas needing improvement. And I certainly wouldn't accuse someone I don't know on this forum of being 'a whiner'. Strikes me as rude.

I've met Joe Finnegan, owner of the Casa de Solana, and he didn't seem to be the kind of person to shrug off a guests concerns, but I don't know him well. And it could very well be that he didn't check in Larry.

St. Augustine FL
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WARNING: Beware the St. Augustine B&B Blacklist

Capn, I only recommend B & B's AND Hotels that are on the top 5 of each category in St. Augustine on this site, and of course, the Top #1 under "other accommodations St. Augustine"!!!!!

Exactly right, Joe Finnegan would NOT dismiss an easy concern like an air conditioner problem; nor would his innkeepers. Very nice people; high on

courtesy.(Not like me, heheheheheh)

Perhaps you already have bought me a beer..........mysterious one !!