We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location confusion

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Location confusion

My gf and I (neither older than 31) are going to be in town for about a day (Sunday thru Monday) before heading up to Savannah and we want to hit some of the good spots (i.e. Castillo de San Marcos, Fountain of Youth, maybe Ripley's, Pirate Museum, etc.). Unfortunately, we are really confused on where is a good area to stay in to see these sights (i.e. downtown, historical district, by the beach, etc.). Any help will be appreciated.

Also, in that short span of time (say early morning 9a on Sunday, until Monday around noon(ish)) what is logical to be able to see and enjoy during that time?

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Location confusion

Well if you are in the historic district, you can walk to all you mention except the Fountain of Youth, which is a little further out.

The trolley rate DOES include the going to the Lighthouse, but you take a smaller van for that which you access near the end of King Street and just show your trolley ticket..

This same little van includes stops for the Beach at Anastasia Island and the Alligator Farm.

I think the trolley is great if you want a little bit of history on the sites, but you are right, the full ride around is probably an hour.. See next sentence, but it will be quicker to walk to some of the sites.

My suggestion is walk to all you mention except the Fountain of Youth. Then when you finish those sites, plan on driving to the Fountain of Youth (they have free parking) and then drive to Lighthouse (also free parking) finishing up your time here.

I will warn you, if this is your first time in the Old City, you will be delayed many times along the way with things to look at and they will slow you down, lol. There is alot to see and do there and it is very romantic with a feeling of charm and fantasy. But you can always return again, right?

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Location confusion

Wonderful information, LN. Much appreciated.

Luckily, this isnt my first trip to the "Old City," as I have been there several times before (although its probably been about 8-10 years since my last visit, unfortunately). My gf though hasnt been since she was 7 or 8, with a school field trip (so about 20 years)! Our former plans cancelled, so we had this free time and figured, why not spend it in St. Augustine before heading north?

I think our biggest thing now is choosing between all the nice B&Bs that are in the city. Well, that and picking which sights are "must see," "want to see," and "its ok if we skip it." :)

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,896 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Location confusion

Since you are just making the short trip from Orlando you'll have a great full day and night to explore the old city! We love staying right in town and a B&B adds to the whole experience. Certainly there is plenty to see and do just walking at your own pace. It's fun to park the car and just walk everywhere. Good idea to save the Fountain of Youth for your next morning. It is a nice place to walk around and the little church/chapel is lovely as well. Good way to spend some time before your drive north. If you don't get over to the beach and lighthouse this trip there's always the next.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Location confusion

Good to know. I was kinda hoping for the lighthouse for the romantic feel. I guess if i dont have time there is always a carriage ride? How are those? Anyone know of a good one that doesn break the bank?

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Location confusion

Carriage rides can be organized thru your B & B owner to be picked up and returned to the B & B. I think that is much more romantic than the lighthouse.

Hey again, here is the link to the B & B's and their reviews. I think this link is a bit difficult to find on T/A:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g34599-c2-Saint_Augus…

I suggest you read the reviews, believe them and see "what calls to you". A place with hundreds of good reviews can't be wrong. Enjoy !

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
10,896 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Location confusion

I agree. You can get a good view of the lighthouse at night upstairs on the balcony at A1A Ale House (at least the light of the lighthouse) Maybe go there for a nightcap! I think St Augustine's downtown has a more romantic feel than the beach also.

Sunrise, FL
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Location confusion

Gotcha LN, carriage rides through the B&Bs. Thanks for the link, we have been active on TA's reviews of B&Bs for a few weeks now. There are a few nice ones we have narrowed it down to, just trying to figure out which one gives us the best "bang for our buck."

Maybe the A1A Ale House balcony, obxpat? Aight, Ill have to look into that place. Thanks!

28. Re: Location confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:57 am, February 12, 2012
29. Re: Location confusion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:31 am, March 26, 2013