We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stop the night on the way from Miami airport

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stop the night on the way from Miami airport

Hi

Just looking for advice about where to book a hotel for the night after collecting the car and landing at Miami before driving to Rotonda. Just want somewhere easy to find that is on the right route. Does anyone have any suggestions?.

Thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,965 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stop the night on the way from Miami airport

I would (and have )stay right there near the aiport.

If you really need to move, there are few hotles near the Dolphin Mall whihc would provide shopping and dining for your first evening.

Depending on the time, you will be looking to leave around rush hour, and travelling the that will be not fun at all.

There are a few places to stay on Blue Lagoon Drive I think.

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stop the night on the way from Miami airport

OK thanks so are you saying its best to collect the car first and head for the nearest hotel or collect the car in the morning. Having had much experience of Miami airport, I know its a big place!!

Farnham, United...
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stop the night on the way from Miami airport

There is a hotel within the airport itself, so you could stay here and collect the car in the morning,

the rooftop restaurant is ok but nothing to write home about.

Alternately in the domestic baggage claim area you will find hotel phones, usually on the wall.

You can pick up and confirm room prices and availability, they will will usually indicate distance from the airport but most will be very close by. Most will have transport to and from the airport so in the morning you can grab the bus back and collect the car and away you go to the lovely Rotonda West.

I would recommend route 41 out from Miami a scenic route through the Everglades and then pick up I75 at Naples.

Have a great time.

Lynne

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,965 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stop the night on the way from Miami airport

I would stay on blue Lagoon drive (Hampton or homewood suites) or at the courtyard by marriott near the Dolphin Mall- not in the AP hotel.

yes, collect your car and drive the very short way to your hotel.

you will in all likelyhood be up very early indeed and ready to get on the road very early (sometimes i leave by 6 am lol).

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
606 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stop the night on the way from Miami airport

I've never done so at Miami, but I find that booking a cheap hotel with a free shuttle to and from the airport is easiest. If you're coming in after dark, you can save yourself the hassle of navigating by taking the shuttle and then take the shuttle back to the airport in the morning when you are ready to rent your car. Just an idea.

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
744 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stop the night on the way from Miami airport

Personally, I would move out of Miami at your earliest possible time. If you are picking your car up I would rather drive the 80 miles across the alligator alley to Naples and find a hotel once on gulf coast. Of course I appreciaterhat if you are not familiar with the area then you may not be keen to do this.

In relation to dolphin mall - whilst others may not agree I do not fi d this a particularly welcoming area for tourists and hence why I like to move to i75 asap to go to gulf coast.

Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy your time in rotonda when you get there.

Rosie

MK, UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stop the night on the way from Miami airport

Hi

We stayed at the Sheraton Suites Plantation, Ft. Lauderdale West last year on the way from Miami to Rotonda. It was a great hotel in Plantation which is just a few miles before the start of Alligator Alley, therefore we were already en-route! It had a great breakfast too.

Droitwich, United...
Level Contributor
437 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stop the night on the way from Miami airport

I know its going to be contraversial but..........

What time does your flight arrive and if its been direct why not just drive from MIA to Rotunda. Okay appreciate you may have had a long 9 hour flight but the extra few hours could mean getting the travelling done in one day.

And before anyone shouts yes I do realise the distance and yes I will be doing that very journey later this year.

Just a thought.

Hadleigh, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stop the night on the way from Miami airport

Flight gets in at 1705, not a long flight as coming from Cancun.

However not able to get into our villa until the next day so just thinking about options. Prefer somewhere easy to get to on the outskirts of Miami so the one in Plantation looks ideal. We are also in the villa for 4 weeks so no real rush to get to the villa - just want to take our time.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stop the night on the way from Miami airport

I'd probably head to Naples or perhaps stay in the Plantation or Sunrise areas as you will probably not get into your villa till late afternoon so you will have plenty time to travel to the gulf coast the next day. It depends on where you have been before and where you would like to spend the day prior to getting into your villa. There is Sawgrass mills in Sunrise, which I have yet to visit so maybe stop off somewhere near there.