We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any changes?

Essex
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Any changes?

Returning to this area in the summer (after almost 2 whole years !) and just wondering if anythingt has changed significantly?? Beaches, shops, restarants etc. So happy to be coming back just want to gen up!

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
750 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any changes?

Lizzie,

No significant changes to RW - ok there have been a few local restaurants closed, but then there have been a couple of new openings, so they cancel themselves out. Beaches are still as gorgeous as you remember, and to be honest I think the area is getting a little busier (altho I am probably looking at the Season months - Nov-April when the Snowbirds are there). Hopefully you will still enjoy this area just as much as the last time you were there.

Rosie

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any changes?

the biggest change was the loss of the Sweetbay at Rotonda west/Placida road. Was the closest store for many.

and the last two years there has been a big freeze with some exotic plants in gardens lost. Mine recovered after last years freeze after I cut them hard back in early April (only lost one permanently). Don't know how bad they are this year.

and should you feel the need to buy, I think house prices have finally hit rock bottom and may be on the way up ;-)

Edited: 6:19 am, January 26, 2011
Essex
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any changes?

Thanks guys. Good to know not much different, altho' don't like to think of it getting any busier!

Haha Amanx, if our numbers come up maybe we could buy a house but in the meantime we will just have to enjoy other peoples!

Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
750 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any changes?

Amanx,

Forgot about the big freezes - how could I????? Think the big change in my garden will be a rip out of grass and plants and replace with lovely plastic ones that don't fall foul of the weather ..... and we wouldn't have to worry about all that yard work!! LOL

As for busier in the summer, think you will be fine - after all that is when we foolish brits & europeans all head to the 100 degree heat and 90 degree humidity - the american's think we are crazy!!! But sure we are - when we get wall to wall rain over here and grey skies for 70% of the year - we need a full on doze of Vitamin D to keep us going!!!! Enjoy!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any changes?

On a serious note, I was affected by SAD- seasonal affective disorder.

But stopped being affected once the kids were old enough and we had enough cash for a visit to the USA (or even france ) once a year. N ow its more I know it will never come back.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Northern Ireland
Destination Expert
for Rotonda West
Level Contributor
750 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any changes?

Amanx,

Glad you found a natural cure - and what better way to do it than travelling to far flung places for much needed sun!

You booked your next trip yet?

R

Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
129 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any changes?

Hi Guys

Nice to see you have posted, it has been quiet for a while on the TA page. We are back out at the end of March for 3 weeks, can't wait, hoping the weather will be hot and sunny unlike Christmas of 2009/10 when we had the big freeze - Brrrrrrr.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any changes?

I am thinking of booking soon for easter. Looking to have a one stop- maybe in Boston. Kids fancy a city trip and Dad isn't keen on NYC (silly man lol).

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Liverpool, England
Level Contributor
129 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any changes?

Love Boston, it is an amazing City. Have you been before? We haven't been to NYC so can't compare but Boston is lovely.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any changes?

I am american and went to Boston on a school trip when I was 12 lol.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Get answers to your questions about Rotonda West